Disable Status Bar

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cj

Disable Status Bar

Post by cj »

Is it possible? For practical purposes, the Dock interferes with it, and simply ignoring it wastes space. On a 12" screen every line counts, so. . .

By the way, great job on :D
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

Currently the status bar cannot be hidden, but we will add that in a future release! Thanks for the suggestion.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
cj

Post by cj »

I appreciate the more efficient use of screen space of NWX when compared to Mellel, which is just a hog on a 12" screen. Now that I can summon and banish individual palettes with the keyboard, I am pretty much content :)
charles

Post by charles »

That's very good to hear! Thanks for the comment!

-C
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I very much like that that individual palette trick (in combination with Menu Keys), too. Nice touch.
marc

Post by marc »

Opening the individual palettes is good (you can hear it coming, right?!)... buuuuut, I'd really been hoping to be able to switch the drawer palette groups via a command key, but can't see how to achieve that -- so far as I can see, there's no menu item to switch these palettes, therefore there's nothing to assisgn a command to!

I had hoped that I could use this to switch to a particular group (e.g. tables), showing the drawer if it's hidden, focus the palettes within the group, and tab through the various settings, to make changes via the keyboard.

This would equally apply to the floating palettes, if that were your preference, i.e. bring up by direct key command (vs the group command I'm looking for), and tab through the individual palette.

So... I'd like to request this for the next mainentance release! : )

PS - Yes, I'm a long time Mac user ('84), but this a word processor, I'd like to not have to resort to the mouse all the time. : )
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Marc,
I had hoped that I could use this to switch to a particular group (e.g. tables), showing the drawer if it's hidden, focus the palettes within the group, and tab through the various settings, to make changes via the keyboard.

This would equally apply to the floating palettes, if that were your preference, i.e. bring up by direct key command (vs the group command I'm looking for), and tab through the individual palette.

So... I'd like to request this for the next mainentance release! : )

PS - Yes, I'm a long time Mac user ('84), but this a word processor, I'd like to not have to resort to the mouse all the time. : )
Yes, we know, as word processors we like to keep our fingers on the keyboard. We've been working on a solution that would allow you to [control/option/command?]-tab across various portions of the document window from the text-edit area to the ruler above (if it shows), to select and move line-wrap indicators and tab locations, then into the various palettes and within them, then, finally, back to the text-edit area.

But, you know:

"Make it so." and "...and the Nisus Writer Express project manager said: 'Let there be...'" don't work in writing code.

We've got the ideas, we're still working on implementation.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
marc

Post by marc »

rmark wrote:
marc wrote:I had hoped that I could use this to switch to a particular group (e.g. tables), showing the drawer if it's hidden, focus the palettes within the group, and tab through the various settings, to make changes via the keyboard.

Yes, we know, as word processors we like to keep our fingers on the keyboard. We've been working on a solution that would allow you to [control/option/command?]-tab across various portions of the document window from the text-edit area to the ruler above (if it shows), to select and move line-wrap indicators and tab locations, then into the various palettes and within them, then, finally, back to the text-edit area.
We've got the ideas, we're still working on implementation.
Mark, it's great to know planning for this type of interaction is under way -- I'm sure you know that this feedback isn't meant as a complaint. :)

Sitting back, here, not doing any of the work, it's easy to get impatient, and want everything yesterday, but, hey, it's also good to know the users are being heard (lots of good feedback in these forums.)

For me, this type of UI interaction is what makes an application truly useful, flexible, and efficient... maybe it's harking way back to keyboard editing burned into my synapses from day-in-day-out Quark'ing! ;)

Seriously, though, this is something that seems relatively confined to graphics applications; Illustrator, Freehand, Photoshop, InDesign, OmniGraffle... but none of them complete the loop by allowing you to active their palettes via the command key (in part due to the convention to use tab to hide floating palettes...?)

iCal is one app that basically does this, via Cmd-I to show the drawer/palette, and tab through the fields.