Page-size oddness in Word

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
BobHughes

Page-size oddness in Word

Post by BobHughes »

Hi - I've just opened my Nisus.rtf document in Word (2004 for Mac, Version 11.1) and the page-size is all wrong.

The document is A4, but in Word it looks as is the page is setup as something much larger and wider in proportion - huge margins below and to the right of the text-block, which appears to have come through pretty much as it should, apart from being shrunken .

I have checked Page Setup, which appears to be OK. The only oddness that I can find there is that the settings for left and right margins have been switched for those of the top/bottom margins. However, when I correct these nothing changes. But maybe it's symptomatic of something.

Pagination is slightly out of whack: in Word, I have 180 pages, but 173 in Nisus.

I was about to switch to Word in order to use multiple windows but I think I won't now!

I'm using NWP 2.0.1 in Tiger.

Any thoughts? If my multi-window urge becomes overpowering, would I be better off trying Libre Writer or similar? (Which I seem to remember allows multiple windows).

Cheers,

Bob
BobHughes

Re: Page-size oddness in Word

Post by BobHughes »

Ho hum. The prob may have had something to do with the fact that I was looking at an unsaved (and slightly changed) version in Nisus, and the previously-saved version in Word (to which I had dragged it from the finder).

After duplicating the Nisus.rtf in the Finder and opening the copy, all looks perfectly fine. Page-size is OK (and pagination identical, as one would expect).

Hope that's of interest to someone:0]

But is it generally OK to shuffle back and forth between Nisus and Word?

B
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Page-size oddness in Word

Post by martin »

Hi Bob: I'm glad this problem solved itself, and it was just a case of mistaken file versions/copies.
BobHughes wrote:Pagination is slightly out of whack: in Word, I have 180 pages, but 173 in Nisus.
This isn't unexpected, because Word and Nisus use different text layout engines. Slight variations in layout can add up over a large number of pages. But if you notice something that's starkly different between the two, please let us know.
But is it generally OK to shuffle back and forth between Nisus and Word?
This should be okay if you make sure to use RTF, a file format for which both Word and Nisus have very good support. Some small things can be lost each time you transit, notably view settings like the last scroll position or selected text, but they should be inconsequential. If you do find an actual loss (text, formatting, etc) when moving RTF between Word and Nisus, please let us know so we can fix it. Thanks!