Export to InDesign

Get help using and writing Nisus Writer Pro macros.
NisusUser

Export to InDesign

Post by NisusUser »

Q1) I just tried to use the "Export to InDesign as Tagged Text" macro from 2009 (http://nisus.com/pro/macros/?activeCat=Misc), and I get this error message related to Perl (see screenshot).

Is this because the macro is pre-version 2? Could it be tweaked to work now? Or maybe I need to add something to my system? Thanks for any help.

Q2) Obviously, I've never used this export capability before, and I see in the write-up that styles are not exported with this macro. Is there a way to export NWP styles such that InDesign can import them?

(I'm using NWP 2.0.4 on OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and would use either InDesign CS4 or CS5.5 to finish up the layout of the document.)
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 10.08.24 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 10.08.24 AM.png (46.03 KiB) Viewed 13849 times
Hamid

Re: Export to InDesign

Post by Hamid »

NisusUser wrote:Q1)[...]Is there a way to export NWP styles such that InDesign can import them?
You don't have to do anything to your NWP rtf file.
When you import your file to InDesign, check the 'Show Import Options' in the Place dialog.
This will open the RTF Import Options pane which you can set to import all your NWP styles, footnotes, Index, etc.
ImporOptionsID.gif
ImporOptionsID.gif (36.53 KiB) Viewed 13843 times
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Excellent! I did not know that. Thank you very much.
ptram

Post by ptram »

However, I fear there is no way to let Nisus Writer understand the paragraph styles when importing HTML files. At least, I tried both with styles like <h1> and <p class="Heading-1">, and they where not applied to the corresponding paragraph in Nisus.

Should I investigate on mistakes in the procedure I'm following, or is it really not working?

Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Paolo: losing proper named styles when importing HTML is unfortunately to be expected. We use Apple's HTML importer for that task, which for our code path (convert HTML to the Cocoa text system) does not preserve stylesheets. Sorry about that.
ptram

Post by ptram »

Thank you very much, Martin. This is really a huge limitation. It is incredible how Apple went only half-way with their conversion code.

Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It is a big pity. Though to Apple's credit, if we kept the content entirely in HTML land (eg: WebKit), the stylesheet would be maintained. It's only Apple's Cocoa text system that has no inherent concept of proper styles (NWP adds that itself, but this has no effect on the import process).