Problem (Bug?) with SHIFT + RETURN

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
exegete77

Problem (Bug?) with SHIFT + RETURN

Post by exegete77 »

I am using 2.0.5 on 10.8.5.

Since I have upgraded I have discovered that the SHIFT + RETURN combination does not produce the expected result. Rather, it will give a new line (expected) but will provide the space between paragraphs instead of the line spacing associated with the paragraph.

This requires going back to each line and re-entering the SHIFT + RETURN to get it properly done. I have also found that if I insert an object and click on the “see through” option, then the line spacing corrects itself. I can work as expected, until I have a new paragraph and want to do the same. Saving, closing, and reopening does not solve the problem.

The problem is I have about 45 pages of this kind of work (every paragraph requires this kind of line spacing and indentation).

I never had this problem with NWP (since it first appeared) until 2.0.5.

Is this related to the list bug mentioned elsewhere?
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Problem (Bug?) with SHIFT + RETURN

Post by martin »

The first thing to check is what character is actually being inserted.

Pressing Return by itself should insert a newline character U+000A. When "Show Invisibles" is turned on, it should look like this:
para.png
para.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 15007 times
Pressing Shift + Return should insert a soft return character U+2028, whose invisible mark appears like so:
soft.png
soft.png (10.37 KiB) Viewed 15007 times
Which of these are you seeing?
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

martin wrote:The first thing to check is what character is actually being inserted.

Pressing Return by itself should insert a newline character U+000A. When "Show Invisibles" is turned on, it should look like this:
para.png
Pressing Shift + Return should insert a soft return character U+2028, whose invisible mark appears like so:
soft.png
Which of these are you seeing?
For full paragraph (RETURN) I see the first. For the soft return ( SHIFT+RETURN) I see the second, but the space before and after is for the paragraph itself, not for line spacing. So, the invisible shows the symbol correctly for soft return, but the actual view is wrong.
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Here is a sample. The first two paragraphs are corrected by editing. The last paragraph shows what happens without any editing.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 6.15.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 6.15.03 PM.png (49.51 KiB) Viewed 15003 times
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Any follow up on this?

Still an aggravating problem.
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Sorry to have left you without an answer over the weekend.

I can confirm this is a bug that occurs on OSX 10.8 when inserting a soft return after the last paragraph in a document. However, it's just a temporary layout issue; if you save and reopen the document (or take any other actions that trigger refreshing layout) the spacing is correct.

Not that it makes it any better, but this bug doesn't appear to be new to version 2.0.5: I can also reproduce it with NWP 2.0.4 on OSX 10.8. We'll take a look at getting this fixed, thank you.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Thanks, Martin. Sorry to have been a little impatient. This project started up last Friday and will be going on for a little while.

I have been using Nisus since the mid 1990’s and have always appreciated the support that the team has provided.
Mac user since 1990
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

If you'd like a fix issued for this bug sooner rather than later, then please vote yes on the poll to persuade Nisus to issue more frequent bug-fixes at http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5439

Nisus do listen to numbers, so the more people who support more frequent bug-fixes - say every six months instead of every year - the more likely you are to get the fix for this issued sooner than later!

thanks, Cris
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I've seen an apparance bug like tis in NWP 2.0.4 and OS X.6.8. As Martin says, it is just temporary and disappears of itself.

Chris, this isn’t a Nisus bug.

Cheers, geoff
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenmorpher wrote:Chris, this isn’t a Nisus bug.
We appreciate your faith Geoff, but this actually is a Nisus bug. Specifically it has to do with some enhancements we made to Apple's text layout engine for Page View, which is why the bug does not occur in Draft View. We're taking a look at how to fix it.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Oh dear! Apologies, Chris. I thought it must be just a variation on the slight display oddities I've seen.

Godspeed, Martin! :)

Cheers, geoff
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This bug with an incorrect paragraph spacing being temporarily in effect in certain situations has been fixed in the just released Pro 2.0.6.
This update is free for all current license holders of Pro 2.x.

• Download Version 2.0.6
• Release Notes

This update can also be downloaded via the menu Nisus Writer Pro > Check For Updates.
If you purchased Nisus Writer Pro through the Mac App Store, the update will be available there as soon as it clears Apple's submission process.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Thank you, Martin and team!
Mac user since 1990