Nisus crashes under Mavericks

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
quiggin

Nisus crashes under Mavericks

Post by quiggin »

Since installing Mavericks, Nisus has crashed repeatedly, as has Mail. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Any fixes?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Nisus crashes under Mavericks

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you've had trouble with NWP crashing on Mavericks. There are many possible reasons an application could crash, so it's hard to say more without additional information. It's possible there's something wrong with your system (since Mail also crashes), but it could be separate issues specific to both applications.

Two things:
1. What version of NWP are you using? Please make sure it is version 2.0.6, which is the only version that officially supports OSX 10.9 / Mavericks.
2. If your version is current, please relaunch NWP, and use the menu Help > Send Feedback to send us a feedback report. Make sure to enable diagnostic information and checkmark the options to send us recent crash logs. Once we receive those we can better ascertain the cause of the problem.

Hopefully we'll get this solved and have you up and working again!
quiggin

Post by quiggin »

Thanks. using 2.0.6. Will send reports
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

it all depends - I had to "Repair Disk Permissions" after Installing Mavericks. All fine now…

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We've received quiggin's feedback reports, and the crash logs indicate it's a problem with OSX's shared file lists– specifically the recently opened documents list, which OSX manages on behalf of applications. We've replied privately (via email) with some steps that may correct the problem.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Two or three users have reported Mavericks crashing problems on the Sandvox forum too (he reported smugly, sitting as he is, somewhat fat and very happy on X.6.8!!!).

Cheers, geoff
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenmorpher wrote:Two or three users have reported Mavericks crashing problems on the Sandvox forum too (he reported smugly, sitting as he is, somewhat fat and very happy on X.6.8!!!).
Don't sit too smugly, as OSX 10.6's days are certainly numbered. Especially since Mavericks' price of $FREE should see it catapulted to the top of user demographics shortly.
quiggin

Post by quiggin »

Trashing the plist seems to have worked. Thanks so much - i really rely on Nisus (have used it since it first came out) and it's great to have this help when something goes wrong.

Pushing my luck a bit, given that this is a Nisus list, is there a comparable fix available for Mail or Parallels, both of which are having similar problems since Mavericks. I could post crash logs if anyone could help me with this
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

quiggin wrote:Pushing my luck a bit, given that this is a Nisus list, is there a comparable fix available for Mail or Parallels, both of which are having similar problems since Mavericks. I could post crash logs if anyone could help me with this
If you post the crash logs (or send them via email) we'd be happy to take a look and see if there's anything we can suggest.
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

quiggin wrote:Trashing the plist seems to have worked. Thanks so much - i really rely on Nisus (have used it since it first came out) and it's great to have this help when something goes wrong.

Pushing my luck a bit, given that this is a Nisus list, is there a comparable fix available for Mail or Parallels, both of which are having similar problems since Mavericks. I could post crash logs if anyone could help me with this
There was an update for Mail 8th November. It is called "Mail Update for Mavericks Version 1.0". For me Mail was working okay with Mavericks but it did one odd thing which was that in the Mail Activity bit there would be a progress bar for mail syncing, which would be sitting at penultimate of some number, 186 of 187, something like that.

Anyway the Mail update has solved this. If you have not updated with this then maybe you should try it.
Patrick
dshan

Post by dshan »

greenmorpher wrote:Two or three users have reported Mavericks crashing problems on the Sandvox forum too (he reported smugly, sitting as he is, somewhat fat and very happy on X.6.8!!!).

Cheers, geoff
Geoff, you could be like me, sitting happily on 10.9 with nary a crash or bug or problem to speak of with Mavericks. One of Apple's better OS efforts, and the price is definitely right!

(Well, aside from the latest outrages they've forced on the Finder. (How can they keep making it worse year after year?) Now instead of the old "always open folders in new windows" option, you can only make them open in new tabs instead of new windows; but if the tabs-always option is off and the window's toolbar is open folders instead open in the same (browser-style) window (the most useless of Finder window styles). Set the tabs-always option on, but have the toolbar/sidebar off, and the folder opens in a new window instead of a new tab, completely ignoring the tabs-always setting! Tabbed Finder windows are great, but having to have the toolbar open to use them is not. Who thought this nonsense was a good idea?! How in God's name are you supposed to explain, let alone justify, this arcane and maddeningly inconsistent behaviour to new (or newish) Mac users? And there's still no way to turn off $#@&* Stacks. Which until now was the most useless, inconsistent and confusing Finder feature. Sigh.)

But aside from this I really like Mavericks! Honest.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

martin wrote:
Don't sit too smugly, as OSX 10.6's days are certainly numbered. Especially since Mavericks' price of $FREE should see it catapulted to the top of user demographics shortly.
Excellent, Martin, I hope they all enjoy it. :)

I'll just sit pat for the time being, still enjoying Canvas X as the most versatile totally integrated graphics/DTP tool ever on Mac and never matched let alone beaten (and still doing nicely on Windows, by the way), emailing on Eudora (a supplier of a rather sophisticated raster plug-in confided the other day that they are still on Eudora too), and Personal Organizer, integrated contacts, alarms, and calendar, which was left somewhat clunky by Chronos when they carbonized it, but their subsequent offerings in the same area are rubbish comparatively and no-one else seems to have come up with anything else worth considering.

When NWP no longer supports X.6.8 I suppose I'll do what I do with these legacy programs -- just sit on the last version that does support X.6.8. :)

Same goes for other programs I use -- PhotoLine complementing Canvas and Sandvox for websites.

Expose, Spaces, Stacks, Tabbed windows display, scrolling the wrong way … some of it is names in the System Prefs I having nothing to do with and some of it is in some kind of mythical land I haven't traversed and, hopefully, won’t.

As someone on another forum remarked the other day, OS 7.6 was GREAT! :lol:

Cheers, geoff
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Geoff -

yes the good "old times" - my home grown System 7.5.3 did combine Chinese, Korean, Japanese with English/German in the same line of text in Nisus Writer - and never ever crashed. But "Times Are Changing" - get an unibody MacBook Pro & full RAM & SSD startup and you work in "real time" - as smooth as silk…

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

greenmorpher wrote: When NWP no longer supports X.6.8 I suppose I'll do what I do with these legacy programs -- just sit on the last version that does support X.6.8.

Cheers, geoff
I’m going to do the same. I use Jers Novel Writer every single day, morning through night, for my novels. I have been doing so for eight years now. Full screen is broken on X.7+ and the application’s upgrade is broken too. As for NWP, I don’t wish anything it doesn’t already have. I’m going to stick with my MacBook for the foreseeable future. And my next computer I think won’t be a unibody thingy, but rather a PC with Ubuntu on it, along with my MacBook. It’s not that the Mac is not good. It’s that I don’t need it. It’s just a matter of what you need. It really is that simple.

Greetings, Henry.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Heh, heh -- now some people on the Sandvox forum are talking about the "Finder" (I use the term only for want of something ,more appropriate) in OS X.9 won’t show them folders they could expect to ordinarily access unless they go through some sort of silly routine involving the option key. Some serious unrest is brewing! No wonder X.9 was free! :o

Cheers, geoff