Opening preferences

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
raffoz

Opening preferences

Post by raffoz »

Is normal that every time that i launch for the first time Nisus Pro and i click on CM+, to open the prefs, the pref panel opens itself very slowly?
It needs about 5 seconds.

Is it a problem of my mac or a problem/buf of Nisus?

Tks!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Opening preferences

Post by martin »

That isn't normal at all. The preferences window really should load/show itself immediately. To help us diagnose the problem, could you please capture an activity sample during the pause:

1. Launch Apple's utility application "Activity Monitor".
2. In the app listing, select Nisus Writer Pro (NWP).
3. Switch back to NWP and open its preferences.
4. Quickly switch back to Activity Monitor and click the "sample" toolbar button.
5. Save the resulting report and send it to us (either using the menu Help > Send Feedback or email).

One thing: it's important that you capture the sample while NWP is busy loading its preferences. Otherwise we won't learn anything about what's taking so long. Thank you!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Are you using Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)? If so, we may have come to understand the problem.
raffoz

Post by raffoz »

Yes, Mavericks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The problem we've identified with Mavericks is that OSX 10.9, for some reason, takes a much longer time to provide NWP with the little flag icons used in the language listings. If you open your preferences, the Language pane requests those icons from OSX, which takes much longer on OSX 10.9 than it did on OSX 10.8 and earlier. We're going to workaround this problem for our next product update. Sorry for the annoyance in the meantime.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Interestingly, this problem does not happen with NWP 1.4.1 on Mavericks.
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

Hamid wrote:Interestingly, this problem does not happen with NWP 1.4.1 on Mavericks.
It doesn't seem to happen with my NWP 2.0.6. on Mavericks.
Patrick
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hamid wrote:Interestingly, this problem does not happen with NWP 1.4.1 on Mavericks.
I'm not sure right now why NWP 1.4.1 wouldn't be affected, but we'll have take a look and see what changes might have be responsible. Thanks Hamid.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Patrick J wrote:It doesn't seem to happen with my NWP 2.0.6. on Mavericks.
One factor is which languages you have NWP set to display, and how many. It also only occurs the very first time the language icons need to be shown after launching NWP. After that they are held in memory until you relaunch NWP.
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

I sent in a bug report on a similar slow-loading issue a while ago. It happens every time I bring an open NWP Preferences window from the dock, I'm now running NWP 2.0.6 on my Snow Leopard MacMini.

When I sent in the requested Activity Monitor sample file, it didn't help. So I subsequently stopped hiding this window and now always close and reopen it instead. This avoidance means the issue has gone away. :-)
Last edited by CrisB on 2013-11-27 00:59:17, edited 1 time in total.
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

These delays in showing the language icons (and opening the preferences) when running on Mac OS X 10.9 should be fixed in the just released Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.7.