Looks nice - but so slow!

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Zelemenos

Looks nice - but so slow!

Post by Zelemenos »

7 page document text copied over from AppleWorks to a new NWX document: scrolling slow and ragged (10 seconds from top to bottom of document); style menu operation frustratingly slow (switching from page to style view, I had to force quit after 2 minutes of beachball). Selecting and highlighting text slow. Saving as RTF or PDF painfully slow. Opening this document, having saved it previously as RTF, by double clicking on the file in the Finder took 1 minute and 55 seconds!! (NWX already active).

Program looks nice but too sluggish to be of much use at present.

B&W G3 with 1GHZ G4 card, 640 MB RAM & OS X 10.3.4

--
David G.
deeping

Post by deeping »

I installed NWE2 Saturday morning and it was slow, Style Sheet view was like wading through treacle. So frustrated was I that my Saturday evening I had removed it from my iBook. Today I decided to give it another chance, downloaded and re-installed the demo again. And it's much much faster. Go figure. The only thing I did differently on the Sunday was after install Repair Disk Permissions (twice) and use MacJanitor to do whatever it does. Could be coincidence, I do not know, all I know is that today it is usable.

Graham J.
dshan

Good performance and seems stable

Post by dshan »

I've been working on a 37 page document I created under NWX 1.1.2 over the w/e and so far it all seems to work fine. Loading the doc seems to take no longer than under 1.1.2 (and is much faster than the bad old days of 1.0.x). The first launch of 2.0 after a reboot is slow, but no slower than 1.1.2, and of course subsequent launches are considerably faster. Editing all seems fine, scrolling speed is adequate and stylesheets seem to work as advertised (though I found the manual very unclear and confusing re stylesheets (templates). Confusingly it uses both terms and it seems to assume the user already knows about MS .DOT files and Mac OS X stationary pad documents and fails to really distinguish between them or describe how you setup and use templates for non-New File documents, etc.)

I've not tried footnotes or tables yet as I really have no need for these features, but so far I'm happy with 2.0.
Zelemenos

Post by Zelemenos »

deeping wrote:I installed NWE2 Saturday morning and it was slow, Style Sheet view was like wading through treacle ... Today I decided to give it another chance, downloaded and re-installed the demo again. And it's much much faster. Go figure. The only thing I did differently on the Sunday was after install Repair Disk Permissions (twice) and use MacJanitor to do whatever it does...

Graham J.
That did it for me as well. Re-installed and repaired permissions. Now all is much more manageable.

David G.
wolfcreekadman

Sluggishness

Post by wolfcreekadman »

I betcha that the slowness is caused by setting memory-intensive preferences, too. The automatic features and multiple undo's sometimes create sluggishness.
joao

Speed

Post by joao »

I haven't been having any problems at all with launching and scrolling. Opening a document sometimes takes a bit longer than I anticipate, but there's been nothing that has alarmed me. I'm quite happy with it.