Complete

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jonclinch

Complete

Post by jonclinch »

What is the default key combination for Complete? I can't invoke the command any way other than by choosing it from the menu, which seems to make a speed-enhancing process anything but speedy.

Help says it's option-y, but that should (and does) just give me the proper option-y character.

When I look at it in the Menu Keys preference, I see nothing but option selected -- no character. In fact, the character box won't accept input...

-- J
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

On my computer, the shortcut is option-esc. That works (as long as I've already begun typing the word -- which is how it's supposed to work). Does this work for you? If not, perhaps you could change the shortcut through Preferences > Menu Keys.

--Craig
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

cchapin wrote:On my computer, the shortcut is option-esc. That works (as long as I've already begun typing the word -- which is how it's supposed to work). Does this work for you? If not, perhaps you could change the shortcut through Preferences > Menu Keys.

--Craig
I've got the same shortcut - option-esc - and it works very well on my PowerBook.

/Peter
Peter Edwardsson
jonclinch

Post by jonclinch »

It works! Thanks a bunch.
marc

Do you find auto-complete useful?

Post by marc »

Does anyone actually find the auto-complete feature useful? I know that this is an OS-provided feature, but I've tended to feel it has marginal use... Nisus' preference to activate it permanently is an interesting attempt to make it more useful (as invoking it via the command key tends to undermine the speed improvement.)

I use a very good HTML/scripting app called skEdit that offers very useful auto-complete, that functions the way I think such a feature should; each additional character typed narrows the suggestions, as opposed to the OS feature, that cancels the suggestion menu. Nisus' option to have this on all the time, basically addresses this complaint, but for me this creates an unacceptable performance hit, for what could be a useful feature (admittedly this is on a G3, though fairly recent one: 900Mhz 640MB.)

IMHO there should (could optionally be) a slight delay, so as not to interfere with those rare moments I know exactly what I want to type, and am quicker than this feature could make me -- it's the type of feature that makes sense to be automatic in a fixed syntax like HTML/scripting etc., yet less so in freeform text.
WattsM

Post by WattsM »

I notice the search delay even on a 1.8GHz G5, and it's enough that it actually makes the program bungle my typing slightly. (Granted, when I've got a strong headwind I can get over 80 word per minute.) I think your suggestion to have the "always auto-complete" preference actually require a slight pause -- say, the user hasn't typed anything for 500 msec or something like that -- is a good one.

Having said that, I'll admit that personally I'm not going to use the preference, and I'm not entirely sure I'll use the autocomplete feature in the first place, but I think it's a cool idea. :)
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I'm not big on autocompletion features myself, so I'm not likely to use it. I did, however, try this one out and noticed two things.

1. When I type "a" -- no matter how slowly and carefully -- it always comes out as "a/c."

2. I'm a relatively fast and reasonably accurate typist. When I go at full speed with autocompletion turned on, I get interesting results. Compare sentence 1, which was typed with autocompletion turned off, and the following sentences, which were typed with autocompletion turned on.

1. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
2. The uqick brwon fox jumps oev rhapsodicelat zydeco dgo.
3. Teahousequi c kbrown fox Jupms oev RTe hal zyogd.
4. Teahousequi c-storekb rondow FXo Jupsm oev rhapsodicetl az yo-yogd.
5. Thade qicuk bron wox fumpj oser VHe tal zygote.d'Aleneo
6. Teahousequi c-storekb ornamentw FXo Jupms ovr the ey dalz.o'clockg
7. Te huicq bkorwn FXo Jups omegarvth e-maill az yo-yogd.

I expect that I made one or two typos in there, but otherwise I typed the same sequence of keys that I did in the first sentence. Like I said, I think I'll keep autocompletion turned off. :wink:

--Craig
BFH

Post by BFH »

Hello.

I just installed NWE 2.0. Looks terrific!

However, I am unable to turn off Autocompletion, even when I quit and relaunch NWE 2.0.

If I press option-escape, Autocompletion remains on.

If I select Edit>Complete from NWE's menubar, Autocompletion remains on.

What do I need to do differently to turn off Autocompletion?

Thank you!
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

To turn off the autocomplete feature, do the following.

1. Open Preferences (Nisus Writer Express menu > Preferences).

2. Click the "General" icon at the top left.

3. Next to "Document Options," click "Suggest completions as you type" to uncheck it.

--Craig
BFH

Post by BFH »

Craig,

Many thanks. I must have overlooked that preference option earlier.

Cheers!
BFH

Post by BFH »

Craig,

Cheers!
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

BFH wrote:Craig,

Cheers!
You're welcome. It's easy to miss because the word "autocomplete" doesn't appear.

--Craig
Emilio_Speciale

Re: Complete

Post by Emilio_Speciale »

It seems that now (version 2.1.1) it is not possible anymore to have autocomplete turned on all the time. You have to hit esc anytime you want to have the list of autocomplete words to appear. Sigh!
Thanks

PS. Maybe I posted this on the wrong forum, because I am talking about Nisus Writer Pro and not Express. Sorry.