Double click on file icon in Finder doesn't open file

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
rbatra

Double click on file icon in Finder doesn't open file

Post by rbatra »

A few months ago I upgraded to NisusWriter Express 3.4.6. Since then, when I double click on the icon of an NWE file in the Finder, the file doesn't open. There is a bit of animation that suggests that the file *will* open, but it doesn't. I am using Mac OS 10.8.3. Any fix possible?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Double click on file icon in Finder doesn't open file

Post by martin »

This sounds like a problem with the Finder's file type/format associations, ie: how the Finder chooses which application to open a particular file. I would try two things:

1. Reset the Finder to use the most recent version of Nisus Writer under its "open with" settings. Here are instructions on that process.
2. Make sure you don't have any stray copies of Nisus Writer on your Mac, ie: delete any older versions of Nisus Writer.

Let us know if you have any questions, and if that does (or does not) solve the problem.
rbatra

Post by rbatra »

That didn't work.

I've done a little more investigating. It turns out that if NisusWriter Express is already running, then the file opens as expected. However, if NWE is NOT running, then it is not started automatically as other applications are, and the file is not opened.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's interesting, and I suspect it probably has something to do with the way the Finder quarantines applications, ie: preventing apps from being launched until the user has been warned the application is being run for the first time. I would try the following:

1. Delete all copies of Nisus Writer from your computer.
2. Download a fresh copy from our Express download page.
3. Extract/decompress that downloaded copy (if necessary).
4. Move the app into your Applications folder (or wherever you prefer to keep Nisus Writer).
5. Launch the app manually by double-clicking it in the Finder, and verifying that you want to run it.

After all that's done, hopefully that resets the Finder's expectations so it will properly launch Nisus Writer whenever you double-click an associated file.
rbatra

Post by rbatra »

:lol: Bingo! That was it. Thanks!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Excellent, I'm glad that's taken care of!
rbatra

Post by rbatra »

Another little addendum, for your information. I use NWE on two accounts on the same computer. Although the fix you recommended solved the problem in the administrator account, it did not solve it in the other account. After some thought, I deleted NWE *AGAIN*, and then tried to open an NWE document (an RTF file) in the other, standard, account. It opened with TextEdit. I closed the file, reinstalled NWE, and then everything worked! Whew!