Icons above and below

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dburgwin

Icons above and below

Post by dburgwin »

Hi,

Nisus 2 looks promising. I have a couple aesthetic quibbles which do speak to usability.

First, the icons in the toolbar need work. They are flat and greyish and do not fit into the cocoa look and feel. NE2 should use Mail.app style icons or at least better designed ones. I end up using "Text Only" in my toolbar.

Second, the colour icons in the bottom bar are helpful but distracting. The flag icon is especially so. I use Canadian English and the red flag is garish and barely fits on the bar since it also has the letters "CSA" under the flag. (Frankly, I dislike the nationalism implied by flag icons as well but that is a different issue). I would suggest using letters to represent the language and make other icons a monochrome grey (see Omniweb 5's status bar for an example) or light blue so the eye is not drawn to the bottom of the page when writing.

Thanks,

Darryl
deeping

Post by deeping »

As a registered user of Mellel I am trying NWE2 now it has a more comprehensive set of features. The big attraction to me coming from Mellel is it's UI, I really like the icons in the top toolbar whilst those in the status bar seem very useful particularly those for zoom and clipboard. As for the icon flag, mine is a Union Jack, not a great deal of use but it makes me smile and like using this app.

A bigger issue than the flag was getting NWE2 to accept English (British) for all the paragraph and character styles without Nisus New File.dot becoming corrupted and pulling down the whole app when selecting Preferences | New Document. Got there after 3 attempts though. Well almost, I still can not get QuickFix to be anything other than English (American).

NWE2 - first impression, seems to have potential and already more pleasant to work in than Mellel. Oh, and did I mention I like the Union Jack in the status bar?

Regards

Graham J.
charles

Post by charles »

deeping wrote:A bigger issue than the flag was getting NWE2 to accept English (British) for all the paragraph and character styles without Nisus New File.dot becoming corrupted and pulling down the whole app when selecting Preferences | New Document. Got there after 3 attempts though.
Please send Feedback to us about this. It sounds like you are having a preferences issue.
deeping wrote:Well almost, I still can not get QuickFix to be anything other than English (American).
When you write in a document, the QuickFix settings used are for your current writing language. The Language pop-up menu in the QuickFix preference pane indicates the language the settings below will affect; it has not bearing on what QuickFix settings will be used in your document.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.