Tables. Default so they reach both margins (2.0.7)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

Tables. Default so they reach both margins (2.0.7)

Post by NisusUser »

When I insert a table, I'm always a bit taken aback by the fact that it automatically hangs in the middle between the margins, but doesn't reach the left or right margin. I have looked in Help, and I know the fact that it's hanging there means "Alignment" in the Tables pallette is set to "Center align the table on the page" (page 199 in PDF manual). I also know I can select the table and then drag the blue handles so the table reaches either one of the margins. However, what I actually would like is for the tables I insert to automatically go from margin to margin (the outside left and right lines being even with text above or below that is justified (fills between margins). Even manually I can't seem to get both the left and right sides (lines) of the table to go to the margins. Once I've dragged the left to the margin (or the line to align with the text below it), then I can select the right side of the table and the cursor changes to a drag-to-resize gizmo, but I can't budge it. Can someone help me out? Aaahhh, after writing all that out, I finally found it on p. 208 of the PDF manual. It's a command Table > Fit to Page. However, I'm still wondering if there's a way to make that a default setting when one inserts a table. If not, I'll just assign a shortcut to it and hope I don't forget it … And why can't I manually drag the table to accomplish the same thing the "Fit to Page" command does? Am I missing something?
Attachments
NWP dragged left table edge, but right won't drag to margin.png
NWP dragged left table edge, but right won't drag to margin.png (8.49 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
NWP inserted table doesn't reach margins.png
NWP inserted table doesn't reach margins.png (8.56 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
phspaelti

Re: Tables. Default so they reach both margins (2.0.7)

Post by phspaelti »

If I drag the right edge to the margin, both sides expand until it fits the page. (If I drag the left edge, it moves the table.)
philip
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

phspaelti wrote:If I drag the right edge to the margin, both sides expand until it fits the page. (If I drag the left edge, it moves the table.)
Thanks, Philip!

Indeed. I certainly didn't notice that. I should have been thinking Left to Right :)

Now, wasn't there a macro to balance the colums? Because after I drag the right to the margin, the rightmost column is wider than the others. But I don't see a command to make all columns the same width (I probably missed it), and I looked through the Table macros I have, and I didn't see anything for that, either. Of course, I can always just use the built-in command, which does balance the columns.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

NisusUser wrote:Now, wasn't there a macro to balance the colums? Because after I drag the right to the margin, the rightmost column is wider than the others.
I think if you drag the edge of the table/column you get that. But if you drag the corner (with the plus/cross cursor) then the table expands with balanced columns.
philip
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

phspaelti wrote:I think if you drag the edge of the table/column you get that. But if you drag the corner (with the plus/cross cursor) then the table expands with balanced columns.
You're absolutely correct. It's amazing what I can miss sometimes! I appreciate your pointers.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NisusUser wrote:Now, wasn't there a macro to balance the colums?
No need to use a macro for this, the menu Table > Distribute Columns Evenly will do the trick. There's a button for this command in the Tables Cells palette as well.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

martin wrote:
NisusUser wrote:Now, wasn't there a macro to balance the colums?
No need to use a macro for this, the menu Table > Distribute Columns Evenly will do the trick. There's a button for this command in the Tables Cells palette as well.
Thank you, Martin. I just missed it. :)