Searching other header info?

Talk about InfoClick, our email search tool.
rob211

Searching other header info?

Post by rob211 »

I am demo'ing InfoClick and while I like it so far I cannot seem to search on all the criteria that I'd like to use.

Is there a way to add other header categories? LIke "received," "return-path," etc etc. Mac Mail doesn't make these available unless you design a rule where you edit the header name itself and then use it as a search criterion. I was wondering if there's a way to do that in InfoClick as well. I tried searching for some of this info in the "content" field but it didn't find it.

thanks,
Rob
exegete77

Re: Searching other header info?

Post by exegete77 »

Howdy, if I am understanding you, you can search for a contact, then when it is entered, you can click on the little arrow beside it and it will give you options to limit to "from" "to" "cc" or "bcc." Is that of any help?
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
rob211

Re: Searching other header info?

Post by rob211 »

Thanks, but no.

Emails contain much, much more info than is displayed by default in Mail and most clients. There are lots of standard fields, like reply-to, and custom ones as well. Apple only indexes this info in the envelope index, not Spotlight, and hence it's hard to find unless you create a special rule to do so. Smart folders won't do it. And apparently InfoClick doesn't either.

In case you're wondering, in any forensic situation the header info is invaluable. It's the difference between having just the letter vs having the letter, the envelope, the signed receipt, etc. And you can customize your own mail to include headers that help in organization.

I'll pass on InfoClick and keep using Email Archiver instead. Thanks for the help though.