Permissions extensions problem

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Norman Kline

Permissions extensions problem

Post by Norman Kline »

nisus pro cannot save any document
dshan

Re: Permissions extensions problem

Post by dshan »

What happens when you try to save a document? Do you get some sort of error message, if so what does it say?

Did this used to work and now suddenly it has stopped working, or is this a new install of NWP that's never worked?

What version of NWP is it and what version of OS X are you using?
Norman Kline

Post by Norman Kline »

I can log in to Nisus and work normally, but when I try to save, the error massage is simply "You can't save.' or words to that effect. I recall that on one occasion the message said something about my not having permission to save.

Nisus currently works OK on my iMac. The problem occurs only on my MBP (early 2008). It worked OK on the MBP until I reinstalled OSX via the Apple recovery procedure, I had to do that because I stupidly monkeyed with Sharing and Permissions creating Kext problems. I am currently using OS 10.9.3 on the MBP and iMac with no Kext problems. Nisus/Save is my only problem. Other applications including InDesign and Photoshop open and save OK.

Maybe I should reinstall Nisus Pro? I have the CD and the license number. But I don't want to do something dumb and create more trouble for myself.

I appreciate you interest and look forward to your reply.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It sounds like a permissions problem, where you do not have access to the relevant file/folder. It's unlikely that reinstalling NWP will change anything. Instead I'd recommend checking the file/folder permissions.

In the Finder select the existing document you're trying to save (or the folder where you're trying to save a new document). Then use the menu File > Get Info. From the Info panel check the area labelled "Sharing & Permissions". You should see your user name and a corresponding privilege, which should be "Read & Write".

If that checks out, please send us a feedback report from inside NWP using the menu Help > Send Feedback. Please be sure to enable diagnostics and checkmark the option to send along your "console log". I'm sure we can get this problem solved for you.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

I remember same thing happening - "cocoa error code 512". I had to restart hardware - the file was then "read/write enabled for me" - and saved as it should "on second try". I seem to remember this happening a couple of times, but it's Mavericks I thought and it's gone with 10.9.3 hopefully?!

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4