Open rtf-files with Swedish as chosen language?§

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
m.danielsson

Open rtf-files with Swedish as chosen language?§

Post by m.danielsson »

Hello,

I use EagleFiler (http://c-command.com/eaglefiler/) plug:"A very nice 'digital filing cabinet, a research assistant, and a snippet collector'" and if you create a file from within EagleFiler it saves it in rtf. I have NWP set to open all rtf-files and my NewFile has "Swedish" as chosen language. The thing is that when NWP opens EagleFiler rtf-files the chosen languageis eng-US. Is it possible somehow to have NWP switch to Swedish when opening these files? I do not use the localization of NWP and Mac OS X as I like to have menus etc in English.

I did not see anything in Preferences and leaving Swedish selected in 'Languages' when closing Preferences did not do the trick. Not that I think it should.

Regards,
Martin
phspaelti

Re: Open rtf-files with Swedish as chosen language?§

Post by phspaelti »

The Nisus New File and its settings are not going to come into play in your case, since it is not a new file. Presumably the language is set by EagleFiler.
What happens if you select the whole imported document, and do "Remove Language Attribute"?
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Philip is correct that your Nisus New File template would not be a factor here. NWP will instead use whatever language has been specified inside the EagleFiler RTF documents. It may be that EagleFiler does not specify any language, in which case NWP will fallback to using your primary system language. You mentioned that you keep your primary system language as English, since you do not want Swedish localizations for menus/etc, so that seems to be the most likely explanation.

As for solutions, you should first check if EagleFiler has a way to set the language for its text and files. If not, you are probably stuck manually changing the language once you open the files in NWP.

I believe we already have an enhancement request filed that we allow the user to choose the default language for external pasted/imported text, aside from the current behavior of assuming the system language. I'll make sure and add your vote.
m.danielsson

Post by m.danielsson »

Thanks to the both of you! I tested switching language in System Preferences and Swedish was chosen, so eagleFiler probably does nothing about language. Also, I couldn't find any way to get it to ;)

For the files created from with EagleFiler it is not a big deal to do this manually, but I thought that if there was a way I should set it up. It would be nice to be able to set language for other imported docs and pasted text from within NWP, so I do vote for the feature. Perhaps we are lazy bastards ;)

The "Remove Language Attribute" menu item was disabled for both the imported doc and those created based on New File. NWP doesn't use it internally?

Regards,
Martin
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

If you can export files from EagleFiler as txt files, then if you open them from the Open dialog in NWP, and check the 'Open as New File' box in the Open dialog, the txt files should open in Swedish if that is the language of your current New File.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

m.danielsson wrote:For the files created from with EagleFiler it is not a big deal to do this manually, but I thought that if there was a way I should set it up. It would be nice to be able to set language for other imported docs and pasted text from within NWP, so I do vote for the feature. Perhaps we are lazy bastards ;)
Aren't we all– but laziness can breed efficiency!
The "Remove Language Attribute" menu item was disabled for both the imported doc and those created based on New File. NWP doesn't use it internally?
The attribute removal commands are only enabled if an attribute is actually applied directly, ie: the attribute is manually applied to selected text as formatting (and is not enforced via styles). Because EagleFlier does not specify any language, there is no attribute, and that's why NWP falls back to using your system language.