Is LinkBack dead?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Þorvarður

Is LinkBack dead?

Post by Þorvarður »

The Help file mentions applications that are supposed to support LinkBack
<http://www.linkbackproject.org>

I tested 5 applications, and only 1 (OmniGraffle) seems to support LinkBack. I wasn't able to establish any hot links between Nisus and Circus Ponies NoteBook, Intaglio, NovaMind and OmniOutliner.

Is LinkBack old technology which nobody cares about anymore? If that's the case, they should remove applications from the website that do not support this anymore.

Or am I missing something?
Last edited by Þorvarður on 2014-12-23 04:06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Dirk_Barends

Re: Is LinkBack dead?

Post by Dirk_Barends »

I use Lineform for drawing simple things and use it with LinkBack in Nisus Writer Pro.
It works, but not that well, with no automatic updating.

So yes, I think Linkback is a nice idea, but hasn't made it, at least not for me.
I would prefer the drawing capabilities Nisus used to have.

Lineform doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately,
so now I am waiting for an OSX version of Inkscape just like Gimp.

Dirk Barends
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

In addition to the applications I mentioned earlier, I found out now that EazyDraw 7.1.1 doesn't support LinkBack either (under OS 10.9.5). I will contact the developers and ask them why they don't support this interesting feature anymore.

OmniGraffle works fine. Changes made in OmniGraffle are reflected in Nisus. If OmniGraffle is open and you close a Nisus document with an object from OmniGraffle in it, you even get a message in OmniGraffle telling you that the Nisus document was closed. This shows that both applications are closely linked.
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

Þorvarður wrote:[...]
OmniGraffle works fine. Changes made in OmniGraffle are reflected in Nisus. If OmniGraffle is open and you close a Nisus document with an object from OmniGraffle in it, you even get a message in OmniGraffle telling you that the Nisus document was closed. This shows that both applications are closely linked.
Well that is much more than what I can do with Lineform (drawing application), Tables (spreadsheet application) and Nisus Writer Pro, which are all supposed to work with LinkBack more or less.
So far I can only open drawings made with Lineform when imported into a Nisus document, but it works clumsy as you have to copy and paste the drawing again in a Nisus document after editing it with Lineform...

What Nisus Writer and Tables can do with Linkback I have never been able to figure out.

Dirk Barends