"Superscript" & "Show invisibles" fail to display in 2.1

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
vitaka

"Superscript" & "Show invisibles" fail to display in 2.1

Post by vitaka »

I updated to Nisus Writer Pro 2.1 and now the "Superscript" and "Show invisibles" tools appear as crosses:
Attachments
Nisus 2.1 missing tools.jpg
Nisus 2.1 missing tools.jpg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 17657 times
Emilio_Speciale

Re: "Superscript" & "Show invisibles" fail to display in 2.1

Post by Emilio_Speciale »

It seems that the icons for the toolbars functions are limited. So it may be possible to use the same icon for a different function. It is strange. So when you try to Add a custom toolbar item you are presented with a short list of icons that you may use for different functions: this is very confusing, I suppose. Or you can use an icon from a file (Choose an image file): but how big? which format? etc.
It could have been nice to have all the functions with one and one icon. There is no specific icon for Superscript or Show invisibles, so you should provide it. Maybe on the internet you can find a set of small icons that you can use.
Thanks
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

vitaka wrote:I updated to Nisus Writer Pro 2.1 and now the "Superscript" and "Show invisibles" tools appear as crosses:
It means that the information as to what icons you selected for those two custom Toolbar items is missing from the preferences file after updating. This should not have happened.
Anyway, you can manually restore them by dragging each of the crosses out of the Toolbar; when prompted, press the button to delete them permanently. Then add the two items again using the 'Add Custom Toolbar Item...' (Right-click Toolbar) and select the icons of your choice.
Last edited by Hamid on 2015-03-20 04:12:08, edited 1 time in total.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hamid is exactly right: this is a problem with the transition from NWP 2.0.x to NWP 2.1. Unfortunately custom toolbar icons failed to migrate successfully for some users. It will not affect the functionality of your toolbar items, though it’s ugly. If you delete and recreate the custom items, the icons should remain intact.
vitaka

Post by vitaka »

Sorry Martin, I just did that but the icons for "Superscript" & "Show invisibles" are not there.
Emilio_Speciale

Dear Vitaka,

I think that there are no icons for Superscript or Show invisibles (this is similar to version 2.07). The number of available icons is limited. You may use one icon from an external file. Nisus does not have an icon for each menu item (Copy for instance has 9 variations or sub menus). Probably you had an icon already used by another item. If you still have in your system version 2.07 please open it and take a screen shot of your toolbar.
Bye
vitaka

Post by vitaka »

Thanks for the input, Emilio, I still had a copy of 2.07 and tried what you suggested, but 2.07 opens the new 2.1 icons, not the 2.07.
Emilio_Speciale

Yes, you are right: the icons are now the same. Because I did not use any custom icon for the toolbar I was not aware that previous version had different (many?) icons. Where are these icons located? Not inside the soft itself: which is strange…
Maybe it is not difficult to have more choices in a new version of the program (after a new major version bugs inevitably appear…).
Bye
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Please let me explain this in greater detail: Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) does not come with toolbar items (or icons) for the commands "Superscript" or "Show invisibles". Those two are both custom toolbar items you must have added at some point in the past. When you switched from NWP version 2.0.x to 2.1 the icons you had configured for those two custom toolbar items were lost because NWP 2.1 did not migrate them correctly. That is why you are seeing those large X icons.

To remedy this you will need to delete and recreate the custom toolbar items with the broken icons:
1. Use the menu View > Toolbar > Customize Toolbar.
2. Drag the undesirable item out from the toolbar to some any other area on your screen, so that the icon shows a "poof" animation.
3. In the confirmation dialog that appears, click the "Delete Permanently" button.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 for all undesired toolbar items.
5. Click the "Done" button to end toolbar customization.
6. Use the menu View > Toolbar > Add Custom Toolbar Item to recreate the toolbar items, setting icons however you desire.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry for the hassle.
vitaka

Post by vitaka »

I am pretty sure I hadn't created custom icons in 2.0 or earlier, Martin. Anyway, I tried to create one for the "Show invisibles" one. However, I hit a big stumble block with the background: if I leave it transparent, it appears white in Nisus, or I try to recreate the grey background, and I never can get the hue right. Any pointers, Martin?
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I can't figure out what steps you are following to get that result. Here is how to proceed:
To add a custom toolbar item to the Toolbar, Right-click the Toolbar and apply the menu 'Add Custom Toolbar Item...'.
You will be presented with the Add Custom Toolbar Item pane:
CustToolbarItem.png
CustToolbarItem.png (66.93 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
Select the menu command you want to place in the toolbar, for example, View:Show Invisibles. Then choose an icon for the toolbar item from the icons shown. If you don't like any of them and prefer to make your own icon, apply the 'Choose Image File...' from the gear menu. You can then navigate to an image file of your own choice from any images freely available.
The image that you choose will not be modified or moved; it will simply be used to create its iconised form which will be added to your own toolbar icon library and the Toolbar.
Here is a screenshot of my own toolbar icons for Superscript and Show Invisibles:
ToolbarIcons.png
ToolbarIcons.png (14.56 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
Emilio_Speciale

Cute icons!

To be more clear:
1. There are many menu functions
3. there are few icons available that do not cover the number of the menu functions
3. you must provided yourself the file/icon if you want a custom icon for a menu function.

One question for Hamid: where did you get those icons? How big and which format (jpeg, png) should the custom icons be?

Have a wonderful day!
ES
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

The images can be in any image file format.
The original images used to make icons are not linked in any way to your icon library; they are only used to create their icons. NWP does that, and it places the icons, in tiff image format, in your toolbar icon library.
When you remove them from your Toolbar, they will still be available in your icon library if you want to add them again later to the Toolbar.
Here are the original images I used to make their Toolbar icons:
ShowInvisibles.png
ShowInvisibles.png (26.1 KiB) Viewed 17454 times
superscript.gif
superscript.gif (2.05 KiB) Viewed 17454 times
vitaka

Post by vitaka »

Actually, images cannot be in jpg format. Saving my icon files in png format is what solved my transparency background problem. Thanks Hamid.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Those toolbar icons are too cute!
vitaka wrote:Actually, images cannot be in jpg format. Saving my icon files in png format is what solved my transparency background problem. Thanks Hamid.
That makes sense, since the JPEG file format has no support for transparency. PNG is definitely the way to go for something like this.

Also, even though it sounds like you have this icon business in order, we just released a public beta of Pro 2.1.1 that should automatically restore any toolbar icons you added in Pro 2.0.x (before sandboxing). You can download the Pro 2.1.1 beta here. The beta should be relatively stable, since the number of changes is small and focussed, but all the usual warnings about running beta software apply. We expect to have a proper release soon enough.