Centered graphics become off-center when gutter added?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
withoutFeathers

Centered graphics become off-center when gutter added?

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hi,

Summary:
Starting with a book containing some large graphics "Positioned on Page" and left-right centered, then after changing to facing pages and adding a gutter, the graphics do not move and are now off-center relative to the text, which has all shifted because of the gutter (both indents and centered text shift smoothly and correctly) .

Extra Stuff:
Since the graphics were centered with the centering tool, doesn't this constitute a bug? Shouldn't they also adjust when the gutter is added, like everything else does?

This is a feature issue perhaps -- maybe more people want the graphic to stay centered relative to the physical page even with a gutter. But in my case that doesn't work well since my large graphics are centered under chapter titles, which of course shift when the gutter is added.

I note also that if I re-center the graphics (with the centering tool again), they still center relative to the whole physical page, and thus remain off-center relative to the text of the page itself. I can move them manually, and I will, but it's repeating work I've already done and I'd prefer to avoid that whenever possible. :-)

Maybe 'Inline' might address this for small graphics, but I find it cumbersome and unwieldy to work with for larger graphics. Any other choices?

:?

WF
phspaelti

Re: Centered graphics become off-center when gutter added?

Post by phspaelti »

I'd agree that this should be considered a bug. I thought the centering tool was merely a positioning convenience, but Nisus saves this info. So there is no reason why it shouldn't keep it updated when changes happen. But Nisus won't even center the graphic correctly if you set the gutter first. I suspect this is just a detail that was overlooked in implementation. You should report this.

One question, however, is whether generally Nisus should center and/or align relative to the page or to the margins.(Currently it's the page.) Either way though I think the gutter should be excluded.

As for repositioning, this could be done with a macro.
philip
withoutFeathers

Post by withoutFeathers »

phspaelti wrote:I'd agree that this should be considered a bug. ...You should report this.
Hi,
OK, I've now sent a description to the Nisus email address for feedback.

Thanks for taking a look.

WF
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This centering bug should be fixed in Pro 2.1 (and the 2.1.1 beta).