Prefs and New File

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Tacitus

Prefs and New File

Post by Tacitus »

In the prefs there is an option under New File -> Format to set the line spacing in multiples and fractions of a line. For example I set this at 1 line using 12 pt Helvetica. I then edit Nisus New File and set the spacing to 16 pt and the default style to Normal - which also uses Helvetica and 16 pt line spacing. Save, quit Nisus and reopen then File -> New File. The new file now has the line spacing and style I set when editing Nisus New File. When creating a new file the defaults appear as set.

However, if I go back to editing Nisus New File.dot, it still has the single line spacing rather than the 16 pt I set earlier as the default. I've looked and can't see multiple copies so I must be editing the same file. I can't say I've noticed this behaviour before so it may just be an oversight on my part, but I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

I'm using 2.1 on Mavericks 10.9.5
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
phspaelti

Re: Prefs and New File

Post by phspaelti »

Nisus has used the Nisus New File as the locus of its default settings since forever, i.e., back in the 90s, or even before.

What you're pointing out is that the "user-friendly" option of setting the preferences in the preference dialog—side-stepping the need to open the New File—is slightly deficient, so that, if you set the line height to fixed 16pt, the dialog has no way to show this, and apparently it just shows "1 line" as the line height. I would consider this a bug. The dialog should always just reflect the settings in the new file. But there may be issues about how to do this in some cases.
philip
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

I think this probably goes back to deficiencies in the Apple text engine rather than anything Nisus has done. I agree that New File.dot has been used since way back when, but after editing the file, despite any new file created having the *new* 16pt line spacings, they don't appear in subsequent edits on the New File.dot neither do they appear in the modified *Normal* default style.

There may be a bug here somewhere but I'm trying to track down something else regarding formatting which may or may not be a bug. Since I'm currently unable to repeat it in order to file a bug report I'll leave it for now. .
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Tacitus wrote:I think this probably goes back to deficiencies in the Apple text engine rather than anything Nisus has done.
In this case the blame almost certainly rests upon Nisus, not Apple. We control almost all aspects of how the Nisus New File is managed and controlled by your NWP preferences.
but after editing the file, despite any new file created having the *new* 16pt line spacings, they don't appear in subsequent edits on the New File.dot neither do they appear in the modified *Normal* default style.

There may be a bug here somewhere but I'm trying to track down something else regarding formatting which may or may not be a bug. Since I'm currently unable to repeat it in order to file a bug report I'll leave it for now.
Hrm, I tried to reproduce the problem you describe, but also could not. Please let me know if you do see it again, or any other aberrations. Thanks!