Repagination effect on index item page numbers

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Francke

Repagination effect on index item page numbers

Post by Francke »

Newbie:

1. Does the index update its page numbers for each entry when the document's pagination changes? For example, if I add several paragraphs to a page, do all the page numbers in the index adjust automatically?

2. If a non-Nisus document has already been indexed in some other software, can the whole thing be poured into NisusWriter Pro, with the indexed page numbers adjusting?

Thank you!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Repagination effect on index item page numbers

Post by martin »

Francke wrote:1. Does the index update its page numbers for each entry when the document's pagination changes? For example, if I add several paragraphs to a page, do all the page numbers in the index adjust automatically?
The index's page numbers are updated automatically, but not immediately. Page numbers in generated indexes (and TOCs) are updated automatically when you make a PDF or printout.

You can also update the page numbers manually, by selecting the generated index and choosing the "Rebuild Index" command on either the contextual menu or Tools menu.
2. If a non-Nisus document has already been indexed in some other software, can the whole thing be poured into NisusWriter Pro, with the indexed page numbers adjusting?
Only if the software you're using can save your indexed document using the RTF file format (Word can do this). NWP currently cannot import indexing from .doc/.docx files.
Candace

Post by Candace »

I use the Index feature to create a Table of Authorities for legal briefs. That means I have to create separate sections for Statutes, Cases, Constitutions, etc. As I do that, the Index gets longer or shorter, depending. I would like to Rebuild it by updating Page Content only, so I don't lose all my careful formatting - but it doesn't seem to have that feature.
OTOH, from what I read here, the Index will automatically adjust the page numbers if those shift in the document. Is that correct?
Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hello Candace,
Candace wrote:I use the Index feature to create a Table of Authorities for legal briefs. That means I have to create separate sections for Statutes, Cases, Constitutions, etc. As I do that, the Index gets longer or shorter, depending. I would like to Rebuild it by updating Page Content only, so I don't lose all my careful formatting - but it doesn't seem to have that feature.
That's correct. You can only totally rebuild an index when you manually choose to update it.
OTOH, from what I read here, the Index will automatically adjust the page numbers if those shift in the document. Is that correct?
That's also correct. If you marked some text for inclusion in an index, generated an index, and then that text changes pages as a result of editing, the page number in the generated index will be automatically updated when your document is printed (or exported as PDF).

The only caveat is that whatever manual editing you do to the generated index must not destroy the special "indexness" of it. Basically Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) applies special hidden formatting to the generated index and its page numbers. So long as that formatting remains intact, the page numbers can be automatically updated. Offhand I think the only way this hidden formatting would be undesirably cleared is if the generated index were stripped of formatting (eg: converted to plain text). You should be able to add formatting, insert characters, etc, without trouble. If your particular workflow does disrupt page number updates, please let us know.