Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mountainman

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by mountainman »

[quote="phspaelti"][quote="mountainman"]The Nisus Documents folder was already chosen, but I did it again just to make sure, then quit and relaunched Pro. However, the macros and glossaries still don't show up.[/quote]
What do you mean "they don't show up"? Are none of the macros in your macro folder loaded? Is your macro menu empty? Do your glossaries not expand?
(Note that the macro and glossary folder [i]do not[/i] appear in the Document manager.)[/quote]

If you look at Preferences > Quick Fix, your glossaries are in the box at the bottom. Mine were not (and expansions were not working), but I'm happy to report that they just appeared. Hmmm... So that problem is magically fixed.

Now about macros. The default set that comes with Pro is there. Mine were not, even though they were in the folder. I say "were" because since my last posting I did a little detective work and found that NWP on the MacBook Air is looking in Application Support > Nisus Writer > Macros, not in the Nisus Documents folder. So I moved my macros folder from Nisus Documents to application support, and now they appear on the menu.

I see I was confused by the differences between the newest version of Pro on my desktop machine (2.1.1) and the version installed on my MacBook Air from the App Store (2.0.7).

Thanks to Martin and Philip for their help.
mountainman

Post by mountainman »

BTW, I would still like to know if there is any practical way of copying the "Fix typos" list from one machine to another.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

mountainman wrote:The Nisus Documents folder was already chosen, but I did it again just to make sure, then quit and relaunched Pro. However, the macros and glossaries still don't show up.
I can confirm this. On my MBA, when I installed 2.1.x, even though the Nisus Documents folder was the one I had been using under NWP 2.0.7 — in Dropbox, as it happened — only the Nisus New File templates provided by Nisus appeared on the list when I used 'File > Open from Document Manager > Templates'; none of my own templates appeared.

If I used the 'File > Open', navigated and chose one of the .dot files, it opened with all the codes showing; if I opened it from the Finder with a double-click or highlight > Cmd-O, it opened with all the codes showing.

What I eventually discovered was that I had to use 'File > Open', navigate to the templates folder, choose the template and un-tick "Ignore Rich Text Commands", leave "Open as New File" un-ticked, then, when it had opened, do "File > Save in Document Manager > Templates". It apparently saves without asking you if you want to overwrite the existing version, or it sets a flag or something, and it is then immediately available in 'File > Open from Document Manager > Templates" and works normally as a template. I have had to do this individually for all the templates I wish to access.

I guess the same sort of thing might be true of Macros, etc. but they haven't concerned me (yet!).

HTH

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

mountainman wrote:BTW, I would still like to know if there is any practical way of copying the "Fix typos" list from one machine to another.
The list of typos in NWP's QuickFix preferences can be copied from one Mac to another. The typos are stored on a per-language basis, so you'll need to copy one file for each language you normally use. These language definition files are stored in this folder:

Code: Select all

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Languages
You'll see one definition file (with a .nlang extension) for each language you've customized. You can copy those between your Macs while NWP is not running to have your language settings cloned between computers.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Martin,
Didn't the method for cloning QuickFix data all change with v. 3? Now is this data (or, "are this data"!) in the settings which can be synchronized?

I thought I had a bunch of QuickFix data on my MBP, but then I set up a new computer and used the same sync settings. Now both are empty. Could that be that the new installation, which had no data overwrote the old installation's data for QuickFix? If so, is there some backup system in NWP somewhere that I could retrieve? (I don't use TimeMachine, but I might be able to dig it off of a physical backup, if there is no good way to get directly from the MBP).

Thanks for any pointers!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NisusUser wrote: 2019-04-06 04:24:48 Didn't the method for cloning QuickFix data all change with v. 3? Now is this data (or, "are this data"!) in the settings which can be synchronized?
That's correct. Nisus Writer Pro version 3 makes synchronizing settings much easier. In general users shouldn't need to dig around in folders to manually move settings around anymore. You just need to configure a single sync settings folder on all your Macs. We have an FAQ topic that explains how to configure these synchronized settings.

That said, if something has gone wrong, or you need to manually migrate some orphaned data, you might still look in certain folders to find the desired settings. Getting to your question:
I thought I had a bunch of QuickFix data on my MBP ... is there some backup system in NWP somewhere that I could retrieve?
QuickFix typos / corrections are stored on a per language basis. You'll want to find the previously saved .nlang files, one for each language you customized. For example, the file "German.nlang" would hold QuickFix corrections for the German language. Here are a few locations you can check for .nlang files:

1. If you ever chose a customized synchronized settings location in version 3 (in the General prefs) then you should look in all such folders. For example, if you used Dropbox you might have a folder like:

~/Dropbox/Nisus Writer Settings/Languages
2. Backups of your language settings files might be stored in the Application Support folder, inside Nisus Writer's sandbox container:

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Settings/Languages
3. If your QuickFix corrections were created in version 2.x then they should be stored here:

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Languages
If you get desperate you could just search your whole Mac for any .nlang files. Spotlight might find some, but to really scan all folders you'd want to use a Terminal command like this:

find ~ -name "*.nlang"
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Thank you, Martin!