A trick with the hyphenation dictionary

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
pereelmagne

A trick with the hyphenation dictionary

Post by pereelmagne »

A particular case in hyphenation
========================

I installed the Catalan hyphenation *.dic* file in the appropriate folder and it worked well, either in the "Automatic - Normal" mode or in the "Automatic - More Often" one. I had to change the file name, from *ca_ANY.dic* to *ca_ES.dic*, because Nisus Writer wouldn't recognise the first file name.

I've been told that one can edit the *.dic* file, as it is a plain text file. Moreover, the guy responsible for the hyphenation extension in Catalan, whom I know, suggested that lines 24, 25 could be modified, from

LEFTHYPHENMIN 1
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 1

to

LEFTHYPHENMIN 2
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 2

The first solution is the best option when writing and editing in InDesign and the second would be the recommended option in an application like yours, in order to prevent hyphenations such as the following:

diferènci-a
o-cupades
informaci-ó

(You can see these partitions highlighted in the document I'm sending attached.)

The reason why InDesign can manage with the first setting is that you can set a paragraph style with parameters such as "hyphenate after 2 characters minimum" and "before 2 characters minimum".

Well, then. I set the two code lines to *2* and Nisus Writer keeps making the same hyphenations. Is anyone aware of what may be happening? Souldn't Nisus Writer obey the hyphenation dictionary?
Attachments
example.rtf
(27.06 KiB) Downloaded 718 times