LibreOfficeImporter hanging

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
cltns

LibreOfficeImporter hanging

Post by cltns »

I've just upgraded to 2.1.2 and a few hours ago and after a while I felt my Macbook Air warm, although nothing was running obviously intense. Looking in Activity Monitor, I've seen that LibreOfficeImporting was taking up 99% of the CPU. Exiting Nisus resolved the problem and I wasn't been able to reproduce the issue. Does anyone else had the same behavior?

Also, Nisus is 588 MB big but looking inside the aplication, I've seen a 453 MB LibreOffice file. Is this normal?...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: LibreOfficeImporter hanging

Post by martin »

cltns wrote:Looking in Activity Monitor, I've seen that LibreOfficeImporting was taking up 99% of the CPU.
I'm sorry the importer spun out of control and got so CPU hungry. If you see the problem again, could you please take a "sample" of the busy importer process using Activity Monitor? Just select the process in the listing, click the toolbar item with the gear icon, and choose the sample command from the popup menu. Once it has finished, send the sample to us at:
Also, Nisus is 588 MB big but looking inside the aplication, I've seen a 453 MB LibreOffice file. Is this normal?...
Yes, this is normal. The LibreOffice-based importer is quite large on disk.
cltns

Post by cltns »

Sure, if this repeats, I'll sample it. Too bad I wasn't thinking at that the moment I saw it the first time.
mattquail

Post by mattquail »

The new v2.1.2 does this on my MacBook Pro, too.

Sample file and screen shot attached

++matt
Attachments
2015-Oct-10-v2.1.2-Sample of LibreOfficeImporter.zip
(39.05 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
Libre office screenshot.png
Libre office screenshot.png (40.46 KiB) Viewed 22451 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you for the sample Matt. We are investigating the issue.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Do either of you use Default Folder? The last time I experienced LibreOfficeImporter using 100% CPU, Activity Monitor said Default Folder X Agent was "not responding".

Another clue is that I always seem to be using Safari when LibreOfficeImporter uses 100% CPU, but this may be a coincidence. How about the rest of you?
chazzo

Post by chazzo »

Bob Stern wrote:Do either of you use Default Folder? The last time I experienced LibreOfficeImporter using 100% CPU, Activity Monitor said Default Folder X Agent was "not responding".

Another clue is that I always seem to be using Safari when LibreOfficeImporter uses 100% CPU, but this may be a coincidence. How about the rest of you?
I use Default Folder (4.7.4, with SIP turned off on El Capitan). Haven't seen any problems with it, though. And I wasn't actively using Safari last time the LibreOfficeImporter problem occurred (i.e. just now), though Safari was running.

Mac mini 2011.
spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

Because of the above issue, I had to downgrade from 2.1.2 to 2.0.7 on my MacBook Air, running 10.9.5.

Several times, when waking up (the MB Air, not me) with Nisus Writer Pro running, as is my habit since many years, I got the exact same issue outlined above – 99 per cent CPU, temp up to 95°C and blower going at full speed.

Acticvity Monitor showed LibreOffice to be the culprit, just as above.

I reported this to Support several days ago, but haven't heard back. Luckily, I had a 2.0.7 dmg stashed away and after downgrading, no more CPU abuse.

I should add that I always run the latest Firefox, Scrivener and Aeon Timeline concurrently – it's my normal 'typewriter' set-up.

With earlier versions, I never encountered this CPU saturation issue.

Kind regards,

Joachim Smith
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

LibreOfficeImporter seems to use 100% CPU when the computer wakes up after sleep.
Unchecking "Load file Importers in the background after Nisus Writer Starts", seems to resolve the issue; then LibreOfficeImporter CPU is 0.0% after wake up.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Hamid wrote:Unchecking "Load file Importers in the background after Nisus Writer Starts", seems to resolve the issue; then LibreOfficeImporter CPU is 0.0% after wake up.
Thanks, Hamid. That sounds like a great solution for users who seldom open documents in other formats. However, if you open a document that requires the LibreOffice importer, I expect the problem would return.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I tested LibreOfficeImporter to import a Word file. After the import was done, LibreOfficeImporter CPU returned to zero. Then I let the computer sleep; upon wake up, LibreOfficeImporter CPU was 0.0%.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Hamid wrote:I tested LibreOfficeImporter to import a Word file. After the import was done, LibreOfficeImporter CPU returned to zero. Then I let the computer sleep; upon wake up, LibreOfficeImporter CPU was 0.0%.
Same thing here. I too tested it like that, importing .doc's and .docx's of several pages of mixed Chinese and English. Absolutely no problem and the CPU was 0.0% immediately after.

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for this information Hamid:
Hamid wrote:Unchecking "Load file Importers in the background after Nisus Writer Starts", seems to resolve the issue; then LibreOfficeImporter CPU is 0.0% after wake up.
That's actually unexpected, since either way the importer launch process is the same. It's just the time it occurs that's different.

If anyone is able to reproduce the high CPU issue even after turning off that particular preference, please let me know. Since we can't reproduce the problem ourselves at all, the more data we can gather to help our investigation, the better. Thank you everyone!
useeger

Post by useeger »

The solution of Hamid “Unchecking 'Load file Importers in the background after Nisus Writer Starts'" works also perfect for me. The amok running LibreOfficeImporter never came back. Thanks to Hamid!
editor10

Post by editor10 »

Also had this problem & Hamid's fix works for me. Thank you, Hamid!

BTW I couldn’t find "libreoffice importer" on my MBP using Spotlight or Easyfind & was stumped until I tried double-clicking on the item in the Activity Monitor list, which yielded a window that told me what the "Parent Process" was, leading me to Nisus and this forum thread.