Maximum space between paragraphs

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
alexdennis

Maximum space between paragraphs

Post by alexdennis »

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

I have a stylesheet with different levels of heading, each with space before and space after. H1 is 16 points after, H2 8 points before. If I generate a document with an H2 header immediately following a H1 header Nisus adds these together – so I get a 24 point space between paragraphs. In Word and (I believe) Pages the default for situations like this is the larger of the two, so there would be a 16 point space between (which is what I'm after). Is there a way of getting Nisus to default to this behaviour please? I can do this manually, or set up variant header styles for these circumstances, but then changing headings later on causes inconsistency.

No worries if this can't readily be done.

Thanks and best wishes

Alex
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Maximum space between paragraphs

Post by martin »

Hello Alex,

I'm sorry but Nisus Writer does not have a feature to control how different paragraph styles' before and after spacing are combined. They are simply always applied in an additive way. You'll need to either adjust the spacing manually, or add customized styles for situations like this (eg: a new style "H2 after H1" that is based on "H2" but reduces the spacing as desired).

I'll file a feature request that we more easily allow the kind of combination you'd like, thanks!
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Alex et al

Contextual formatting like this can indeed lead to headaches, especially in a long document with many headings. In such a case, I would not bother defining yet another style. Rather, when I had finished with the document, I would run a macro that adjusted the paragraph spacing around headings in the desired manner.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
alexdennis

Post by alexdennis »

Thanks both – I'm not sure it's worth posting a feature request as I think this is probably a very marginal problem. I'll get cracking on setting up a macro, though, which is a fairly elegant solution.

All best wishes

Alex