Pro 2.1.2 makes me save documents TWICE...

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
chuckle

Pro 2.1.2 makes me save documents TWICE...

Post by chuckle »

I've probably had this program a year and never had this problem. Suddenly, a few weeks ago, I started to notice that after I had routinely "saved" a document as Nisus macro, there was no trace of it. I figured I had made a careless error of some sort, but no, this has repeated itself numerous times. I go back and save it a second time and this time it works. Why do I suddenly have to save a document twice to make it "stick"??
credneb

Re: Pro 2.1.2 makes me save documents TWICE...

Post by credneb »

I'm glad you mentioned this. It spurred me to write.

After upgrading to 2.1.2, and still after reverting to 2.1 because of 2.12's problem with double-expansion of glossary entries, I have the same problem with glossary files opened and saved by a macro.

A macro I have used for years creates glossary entries and ends with the statement "Save". It leaves the file open so that changes can be made easily, or closed with a cmd-W.

It continues to save the glossary file (the system beeps) but if I don't type cmd-W within a very short time that is less than 1 second, cmd-W gets a prompt saying the file has not been saved. So I type cmd-S and then cmd-W and teh file closes _without_ being saved again (there is no beep). It seems like the macro Save command has stopped setting some flag somewhere telling NIsus the file has been saved.

This problem did not happen until upgrading to 2.1.2, and persists after reverting to 2.1. And it is quite repeatable. And irritating.

mid 2014 MB Pro with OSX 10.9.5
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Are you using "El Capitan" by any chance? That seems to have introduced a bug…
philip
credneb

Post by credneb »

Hi, Philip.

Not sure which poster you are asking, but as noted my problem with the macro Save and glossaries does not involve El Capitan.

Cliff
credneb

Post by credneb »

Perhaps I should note that the actual message received is

Do you want to save the changes made to the document “J0123456g”?

where the document title changes according to the glossary file. This has the Nisus logo and seems to be a Nisus-generated dlg box.
chuckle

Post by chuckle »

Not using El Capitan but Mountain Lion.

And have still been having the same problem.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This sounds like two unrelated problems. Let's go over them one by one to see if we can figure out what's going wrong.

First, let's look at chuckle's problem, where new macros aren't saved at all:
chuckle wrote:I started to notice that after I had routinely "saved" a document as Nisus macro, there was no trace of it.
When you save a new macro, which menu do you use? I assume the menu Macro > Save As Macro– is that correct? If so, that command should default the save dialog to showing your Macros folder. Do you then choose that folder, or some other location? After you confirm the save location, file name, and dismiss the save dialog, does the document window's titlebar continue to show as Untitled, or does it show the file name you typed?

Now, to credneb's problem, where his macro is having trouble saving glossary files:
credneb wrote:. A macro I have used for years creates glossary entries and ends with the statement "Save". It leaves the file open so that changes can be made easily, or closed with a cmd-W.

It continues to save the glossary file (the system beeps) but if I don't type cmd-W within a very short time that is less than 1 second, cmd-W gets a prompt saying the file has not been saved.
This sounds like an issue with macro execution / timing. Probably something after the Save command incorrectly sets the document back to a "dirty" state. Can you attach the macro you're using so I can look at the code? You could also send it to me via the Help menu.

Thanks for your help!
chuckle

Post by chuckle »

I'm just using: File / Save as / Nisus macro

That's what I had been doing until this problem arose, in order to save my documents as Nisus docs, rather than RTFs or any of the alternative file formats. It always worked the first time to save my docs as Nisus docs, so I could then open them as Nisus docs without first doing a translation from RTF - the default format . That's what's no longer working - at least on the first attempt.

Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for that additional detail chuckle. So, after you use the Save As command, how does the document's titlebar appear? Do you still see it as untitled, eg:
untitled.png
untitled.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 12700 times
Or does the titlebar show the name you entered in the save dialog, eg:
saved.png
saved.png (7.18 KiB) Viewed 12700 times
chuckle

Post by chuckle »

So after using the Save As command, the document's titlebar remains untitled, as in your first example.

Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you for confirming that chuckle. Could I ask you to please get in touch with us privately? We'd like see if we can diagnose the problem. Here's what to do:

1. Launch Nisus Writer and trigger the saving problem with a new document.
2. Use the menu Help > Send Feedback to open the feedback reporter.
3. Fill in a brief description (something like "it's chuckle from the forum" will do). Just make sure your email address is correct so we can reply.
4. Be sure to checkmark the option to send the "console log".
5. Send in the feedback report.

Hopefully that will give us some leads to investigate the problem. If not, we'll continue to work with you. Thanks for your help, and sorry for the trouble.
chuckle

Post by chuckle »

OK, thanks. I will do so when I have this problem again. I tried to coax it tonight but, of course, all the docs were saved on the first try - it's like bringing in a rattling car, only to have the rattle stop.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

chuckle wrote:I tried to coax it tonight but, of course, all the docs were saved on the first try - it's like bringing in a rattling car, only to have the rattle stop.
I know that feeling, and it's a frustrating one! But it's true, as with car troubles, software problems are most easily diagnosed when we can see them firsthand. Sorry for the nuisance, and thanks for your help. Hopefully we can get this fixed for you.