Removed Font still shows up in PDF as Embedded Subset

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
withoutFeathers

Removed Font still shows up in PDF as Embedded Subset

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hi,
I'm attempting to clean unused fonts for my Nisus RTF-->to-->PDF file as much as possible before creating a PDF for printing.

But after successfully removing font Thonburi from Nisus RTF (I thought, because the Find Macro no longer finds it) I discover that it still shows up in the newly-generated PDF exactly as it did before. That is, in Adobe Reader, if I choose Properties, and look at the Embedded fonts, Thonburi still shows up there as an Embedded subset.

But, as I said, the Nisus Find Font Macro no longer reports it existing at all.

Any explanations? Or help with this? I'd like not to have it in there if I'm not using it, and apparently I'm not...but maybe it's lurking somewhere that the Find Font Macro doesn't report?

No big deal, and it's unlikely to cause any problem in printing if it's not part of the visible text, but I'm curious about my tools...I like to know how they work. :)

And also, it's possible that it actually is part of the visible text...if Find Font isn't reporting accurately. So there might end up being a printing anomaly later down the road on some printer somewhere.

Thanks....
Hamid

Re: Removed Font still shows up in PDF as Embedded Subset

Post by Hamid »

Could Thonburi be lurking in the Style Sheet as an attribute of an unused style?
withoutFeathers

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hamid wrote:Could Thonburi be lurking in the Style Sheet as an attribute of an unused style?
Hmm, interesting thought, I'll look...but even if so, would the Style Sheet be converted to PDF?

WF
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

withoutFeathers wrote:
Hamid wrote:Could Thonburi be lurking in the Style Sheet as an attribute of an unused style?
Hmm, interesting thought, I'll look...but even if so, would the Style Sheet be converted to PDF?
Generally no– if a style from the stylesheet isn't actually applied to text in your document, its font shouldn't be included in a PDF. In other words, generally unused styles will have no affect on your PDF.

One exception to that rule are some special PDF character styles:
PDF Link - Cross-Reference
PDF Link - Index
PDF Link - TOC

If your stylesheet has character styles using any of those names, and your document's text includes a hyperlink of the named type, then the PDF style will be overlaid onto the text.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't explain your situation, please feel free to send us your document and we can take a look.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

martin wrote:One exception to that rule are some special PDF character styles:
PDF Link - Index
PDF Link - TOC
By the way, Martin, those styles are created only after the file is converted to pdf. So if I want to modify them, I need to convert the file to pdf, modify the styles, and then convert again. I think they should be created before, not after.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Groucho wrote:
martin wrote:One exception to that rule are some special PDF character styles:
PDF Link - Index
PDF Link - TOC
By the way, Martin, those styles are created only after the file is converted to pdf. So if I want to modify them, I need to convert the file to pdf, modify the styles, and then convert again. I think they should be created before, not after.
You can manually add the styles before creating a PDF, as there's nothing magic about the automatically generated styles. Nisus Writer just looks for any styles using those special names, however they were created. In fact, if you have a consistent preference for how these styles should look, you should add them to your Nisus New File template. That will ensure new documents get copies of your customized styles.

That said, I agree that there is something of a discoverability issue with these styles. Perhaps we should have some way to add them using a menu command. Thanks for letting us know your opinion on this matter.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Good to know it. I’ll add these styles to my templates. The only thing I didn’t like was the blue color, the rest is alright. Thanks, Martin.

Greetings, Henry.