Nisus Pro not opening docs - Permission Denied

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
chuckle

Nisus Pro not opening docs - Permission Denied

Post by chuckle »

So suddenly last week, and ongoing still, Nisus Pro is not opening a number of saved documents, popping the message "The file could not be opened. . . Permission was denied." Never had this problem before. This is a deal killer for me. I've had to open the document in Text Edit, copy it, and paste it into Mariner Write - the program I had hoped to replace with Nisus Pro. Unfortunately, Mariner Write has turned out to have a lot less problems. Any suggestions?

Chuckle
jeab

Re: Nisus Pro not opening docs - Permission Denied

Post by jeab »

I have seen that message a number of times in TextEdit, and even more often TextEdit will even refuse to save a new document. In my experience, restarting the application helps. Could your problem be related? See this article about permission erros for sandboxed applications: http://www.cnet.com/news/fix-permission ... s-in-os-x/
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The error you're seeing is almost certainly a problem with Mac OS X and sandboxing. As Nisus Writer has adopted the sandbox, all access to files and other system resources is controlled by OSX. Some questions:

1. Have you restarted your Mac since you saw the errors? That could be a simple fix, in case it's a temporary hiccup with your system.
2. How are you trying to open these files? Are you using the Finder, or an open file dialog? If one way fails, another may not.

Also Chuckle, the last time we communicated privately I saw that your Mac was having file system issues. Specifically OSX's document versioning feature wasn't working; your system was failing to store new versions of files. Have you resolved that problem? If not, I still suggest running a Disk Utility check of your hard drive, upgrading to a more recent version of OSX, or contacting Apple about your troubles. All these problems could be related, and might point to a deeper cause.
chuckle

Post by chuckle »

I have restarted the computer and also tried to clean out OS X through Disk Utility. I am happy to say that for the time being at least, I am not having further problems with being denied access to documents, or saving them. Prior, I noticed that certain documents were saved in multiple versions with the "sb" designation. So meanwhile, I'm going to have to delve into the mysteries of sandbox operation.

Thanks --
rwg

Post by rwg »

I am having a similar problem with macros on OS 10.9. When I select Macros > Show Macros Folder in Finder or Add Macro to Menu from File, I get the error message 'You don’t have permission to save the file “Macros” in the folder “Library”'. Restarting Nisus and the computer has made no difference, and I have had no similar problem with any other application. Any pointers to a solution would be appreciated.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Why are you trying to save your macros in the Library? You should move your macros to the "Macros" folder in the "Nisus Documents" folder.
philip
rwg

Post by rwg »

I am not actually trying to save the macros in the Library -- that is just the message that pops up when I select one of those items in the Macros menu. And on looking for the "Macros" folder, it now seems that there is no such folder in the "Nisus Documents" folder.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

What version of Nisus are you using?
philip
rwg

Post by rwg »

This problem has occurred only since updating to the latest version (2.1.3).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

rwg wrote:I am not actually trying to save the macros in the Library -- that is just the message that pops up when I select one of those items in the Macros menu. And on looking for the "Macros" folder, it now seems that there is no such folder in the "Nisus Documents" folder.
Have you tried resetting access to the Macros folder using the menu Macros > Choose Macros Folder? That might solve the problem, even if you simply reselect the same exact folder. The process of selecting the folder should grant Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) access to the folder.

If that doesn't help, try resetting the location of your Document Manager:

1. Open your NWP preferences.
2. Switch to the "Doc Manager" pane.
3. At the top where you see the document manager's folder path, click the "Choose" button.
4. In the file selection dialog, choose a folder that's sensible. Perhaps a "Nisus Documents" folder inside your user's home or Documents folder. Really any regular folder will do, though I recommend you use a separate folder that's just for Nisus things. Just make sure the folder isn't located anywhere strange, like inside your Library folder. Also, the folder you choose doesn't have to be a different folder. Simply reselecting the folder's existing location might be enough to help.

After that, see if the Macro menu command behave properly. If things are still broken, please send us a report using the menu Help > Send Feedback. Please checkmark the option to include your "console log". Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
rwg

Post by rwg »

martin wrote:Have you tried resetting access to the Macros folder using the menu Macros > Choose Macros Folder? That might solve the problem, even if you simply reselect the same exact folder. The process of selecting the folder should grant Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) access to the folder.
I again got the same error message but was then able to choose a folder. Since there was no Macros folder in the "Nisus Documents" folder, I created a new Macros folder and was asked whether I wanted the default macros to be copied there, to which I agreed, and now everything seems to be working again. But I am wondering whether I may have lost any other macros apart from the default macros that I may have added over the years.

Thank you for your help.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad you have things working again, thanks for letting us know.
rwg wrote:But I am wondering whether I may have lost any other macros apart from the default macros that I may have added over the years.
That's a possibility. It might be that your old macros are still somewhere on disk, in a folder unexamined by Nisus Writer. Here are a couple of places to look:

Code: Select all

~/Documents/Nisus Documents
~/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro
~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Nisus Documents
I know some of those file paths are a bit strange. If you need help looking in any of those places, please let me know and I can give you more detailed instructions.
rwg

Post by rwg »

The old macros were in the third folder you suggested. (I had already checked the first two and had been somewhat surprised to discover that there was no "Nisus Writer Pro" folder under ~/Library/Application Support).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Ah good, I'm glad you found your old macros. They were probably migrated inside NWP's sandbox container when you first upgraded from version 2.0.7 to 2.1.x. That's quite normal.

What's not normal is that NWP somehow lost access to them. NWP should always have access to all files inside its sandbox container. I'd guess this was a hiccup in OSX's sandbox management.
economics

Post by economics »

I've encountered this problem as well. Once I set Preferences > General > Keep xxx Documents Open... to zero (not blank) then no problem. Now I've gone in and changed all permissions (or rather reaffirmed, for myself and "everyone") to read & write using the finder and making sure I applied it to "all enclosed documents." NWP then started working again as expected. But after a day [and upping the number of recent documents to track to 30]it reverted back to form, denying permission. When that happens, I also loose access to macros.

I've not had this problem with any other program running OX10.11.5. I'm on a MacBook Air so no spinning drive that might have disk errors or anything like that.

I've worked with Martin, so far no fixes other than disabling recent files. But that does work. However I then have no list of recent files....which I can live with.