adding a line between line numbers and body of text

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
kzjohn

adding a line between line numbers and body of text

Post by kzjohn »

Hello everyone,

I've just started updating some very ancient Nisus files, and have a (hopefully) simple question about line numbers.

Once upon a time, you could add a vertical line between the line numbers and the text that was being numbered. This was, visually, a helpful formatting touch. This no longer seems to be available. (v1.4.2)

Could someone confirm this in my version of Nisus, or point me to where I can choose this option?

Tho 1.4.2 says it is up to date when I check for updates, I have seen that a much newer version is now available (probably for $, but that's okay). Does the newest version have the ancient feature of adding a line between the numbers and the text to more clearly separate them?

TIA,

John from Kanazawa
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: adding a line between line numbers and body of text

Post by martin »

Greeting John! We should be able to help you.

To add a vertical dividing line between your line numbers and the regular document text, what you will want to do is add a border to your document's section(s). You can do that using the Page Borders palette. I believe this palette exists even in your older version of Nisus Writer Pro.

That said, if you do want to upgrade to Nisus Writer Pro version 2.x to obtain access to other new features, you can do so using our store. There is a reduced price for upgrades, if you enter your existing license key.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any questions.
kzjohn

Post by kzjohn »

"To add a vertical dividing line between your line numbers and the regular document text, what you will want to do is add a border to your document's section(s). You can do that using the Page Borders palette. I believe this palette exists even in your older version of Nisus Writer Pro."

Thanks, Martin, for the quick response. I will check this out at the office tomorrow (home for the day now). It's not just one file, there are quite a few others (old/archived ones) that I've used line numbers on that I would like to update.

John D.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

kzjohn wrote:
martin wrote:[You can] add a vertical dividing line between your line numbers and the regular document text, what you will want to do is add a border to your document's section(s) … using the Page Borders palette.
… It's not just one file, there are quite a few others (old/archived ones) that I've used line numbers on that I would like to update.
And unfortunately this is one of the areas where the Nisus Macro language can't help us. One could write a macro to open all the files, but since the commands in the page borders palette are not accessible by menu or by macro language commands, there is no way to set them.

Hopefully this can be added in a future update :)
philip