Endnote query

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
rogerbackhouse

Endnote query

Post by rogerbackhouse »

Nisus gives the opportunity to have the numbering of endnotes restart each section, but to print the endnotes at the end of the document, which is just what I want. However, to make that useful, I need to be able to insert chapter headings within the stream of endnotes, to indicate which chapter each sequence of numbers refers to. I cannot work out any way to do that, as it does not seem to be possible to insert anything between endotes. At the moment I am just using continuous numbering, but that is not ideal as having 4-digit endnote numbers is not ideal.

Is there a solution to this problem?
Vanceone

Re: Endnote query

Post by Vanceone »

It's possible, though a bit wonky.

Here's what you can do. Nisus Writer has the concept of a custom footnote/endnote reference. If you have the User guide (found under the help menu) check out pages 195 or so.

The basic idea is that you will add an endnote to each of your chapter headings (I suggest right before the chapter heading text, but anywhere really inside the heading text), just like any other endnote. However, you should select that note reference and change it to a custom note reference (using the status bar button to do so, at the bottom of the page. It looks like a green asterisk, at least on my system). That way, it pulls it out of the automatic numbering scheme and inserts an endnote.

You can then stye things appropriately. I would suggest an invisible character for the actual note reference; and use a different style entirely for the note text (with the name of your chapter heading as the note text.)

I hope this makes sense! It should put you on a workable path, at least.

Once you have this in place, you can restart your endnote numbering if you so desire, so each chapter has its own numbered set of endnotes.
rogerbackhouse

Re: Endnote query

Post by rogerbackhouse »

Sorry for the delay in replying to thank you for this suggestion. I intend to try it in my next revision, though in my last version of the document, I just had consecutive endnote numbers throughout the book. I will be interested to see what invisible characters are allowed as endnote markers.