Page numbering keeps bouncing around

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Quix

Page numbering keeps bouncing around

Post by Quix »

I have a large document approx. 1200 pages long and when I update the TOC it keeps saying different page numbers

When I export to a PDF it changes again and I can generate multiple PDF's of the same file and get different page numbering.

What should I do to fix the problem?

Tim
Vanceone

Re: Page numbering keeps bouncing around

Post by Vanceone »

My suspicion lies in one of two areas: a font that displays differently than it prints; and maybe a widow/orphan or keep together with next paragraph setting.

Suggestion: put your table of contents into a different section, and restart the numbering in the text proper. That should eliminate the TOC itself from renumbering your document whenever it is updated or changed.

Second, maybe try a font like courier which won't change from display to print--see if that makes a difference. Also, your main style: check on the "Keep together with following" and widow/orphan settings.

Maybe that will help?
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

Also if you are on El Capitan, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6166. It's a FAQ mentioning a bug that causes pages to expand. Don't use Times New Roman if you can help it.
Quix

Post by Quix »

The problem with the file was so bad I ended up porting my file into Mellel using copy Get Plain Text http://zipzapmac.com/GetPlainText and paste into Mellel, I lost some formatting which I spent 2 days cleaning up. Now my document is solid

I like Nisus Writer but with my size of document 1000+ pages long it didn't work.