A couple of questions re: Shape anchors, Headers, Footers

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Rjones

A couple of questions re: Shape anchors, Headers, Footers

Post by Rjones »

1. Is it possible to have unanchored shapes? I can't quite understand the point of that long line that extends from the anchor to the shape or just how it is affecting things.

2. In a Template I have created, I have Headers and Footers set up to include: a line shape, page numbers, and text. I have noticed that whenever I import (or even copy and paste) a long document from MS Word, that the headers and footers elements just tend to disappear and need to be created again. Is there a way to correct this?

Thanks.
Richard
phspaelti

Re: A couple of questions re: Shape anchors, Headers, Footer

Post by phspaelti »

Rjones wrote:1. Is it possible to have unanchored shapes? I can't quite understand the point of that long line that extends from the anchor to the shape or just how it is affecting things.
Every shape is going to have to be "anchored" somewhere — even shapes in MS Office :) The anchoring is going to tell the program where to put it in the document.

Basically there are two types of graphics: inline and floating. Inline graphics will just be placed as if they were part of the text. Floating graphics allow two ways of placement: "page" or "paragraph". The "page" graphics will be placed relative to the margins of the page/paper, but the anchor determines which page they will appear on. The "paragraph" graphics will be placed some relevant offset from the paragraph they are anchored to. The grey anchor lines tell you which paragraph the graphic is attached to.

If you are bothered by the grey anchor lines, you can hide them. This can be set in the Nisus preferences (Preferences > Appearance > Invisibles & Guides > Shape anchor).

Nisus automatically chooses a suitable paragraph to attach the graphic, but you can control this yourself if necessary.
Rjones wrote:2. In a Template I have created, I have Headers and Footers set up to include: a line shape, page numbers, and text. I have noticed that whenever I import (or even copy and paste) a long document from MS Word, that the headers and footers elements just tend to disappear and need to be created again. Is there a way to correct this?
Nisus uses the "New File" template only for files you actually create in Nisus. There is also a "plain text" template that is used for text files without formatting. But files imported from MS Word (and others) bring their own formatting, including headers etc., and the new file template is not consulted.

However you say that even pasting the text from a MS document into a Nisus document erases the header? I can't reproduce this problem, but maybe I'm just not familiar enough with MS Word.

Anyhow one approach for your header would be to write a Nisus macro that would create the header and footer settings. You could run that after an import (or even a paste operation) and have it change the Header and Footer settings.

Finally a tip: You say you have a graphic line in your header. That is certainly one way to do it. But if what you want is a simple line (after a paragraph), have you considered using a paragraph border instead?
philip
Rjones

Re: A couple of questions re: Shape anchors, Headers, Footer

Post by Rjones »

Thanks, phspaelti

I appreciate your reply to my questions. You've given me some things to think about and to work on. I'll tinker around a bit with your macro suggestion for headers and footers to see if I can make it work.

Richard Jones