Error message(s) on starting Nisus

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Jtowler

Error message(s) on starting Nisus

Post by Jtowler »

I recently moved to a new computer, and migrated everything from the old one. Now, when I start Nisus, I get the following message: "Bookmark data previously captured for a file is invalid. File path: ~/Documents/Nisus Documents" I immediately get a second message in a separate box: "Nisus Writer Pro need access to the "All Managed Files" folder. Would you like to grant permission by choosing the folder?"

I then select the ~/Documents/Nisus Documents folder, and immediately get the first error message again.

This happened on the previous release as well as the current (2.1.5) release. Is there a preference file gone bad possibly? Or maybe a persistent cached file that is causing this error? I have restarted the computer to no effect.

Thanks
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Error message(s) on starting Nisus

Post by martin »

The alert you are seeing is a byproduct of sandboxing. To say it briefly, sandboxing is a Mac system security feature that prevents apps from accessing resources without your permission.

One of Nisus Writer's features is our Document Manager, which is used to store templates and other files. When you launch Nisus Writer it tries to access your Document Manager, which is why you're seeing that alert. Nisus Writer needs to reestablish permission to that folder.

However, what I can't say is why the bookmark data to your Document Manager folder became invalid in the first place. Under normal operation it should remain valid, even after updating your system or app versions. However, maybe something about the transfer to the new computer disrupted sandboxing.

Please try this: open your Nisus Writer "Doc Manager" preferences and then manually select the desired folder.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

After replying just now, I realized that we'd already communicated about this matter privately some time ago. It ended up being that you needed to use a more robust solution to clear away the error: reset Nisus Writer's sandbox container. I'm adding this detail here in case anyone else stumbles upon this problem.
juliang

Post by juliang »

How do you do that? After a long period of NWP being trouble free, it's now doing that every time I start it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If you repeatedly receive a warning or alert about accessing the Document Manager, please first try to restore access to the proper folder. You can grant Nisus Writer access to your Document Manager folder by following these steps:

1. Open up Nisus Writer's preferences.
2. Switch to the "Doc Manager" pane.
3. Next to the "Document Manager Location" label, click the "Choose" button.
4. In the file selection dialog, choose the folder you are using (or would like to use) as your Document Manager.
5. Confirm your choice, quit the application, and then relaunch Nisus Writer.

If the errors persist after relaunch, you can take the more drastic action of resetting the sandbox container for Nisus Writer. However, this should be a last resort, since it will reset all your preferences and settings. If you want to avoid that kind of reset, please send us a feedback report using the menu Help > Send Feedback. We are happy to take a look at your system logs to see if there might be some other solutions available.
juliang

Post by juliang »

Sorry my question wasn't clear. I had already gone through the first set of steps.

It did take resetting the sandbox container, but now it's fixed! Thanks.