Unable to rename and save a document

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
DavidSteward

Unable to rename and save a document

Post by DavidSteward »

I am using Nisus 2.1.3

When I open and edit a saved document I am unable to reserve the amended document with a changed name.

The error message states

The document "old name" could not be saved as "new name". You don't have permission. To view or change permissions. select the oyes I'm the Finder and choose File . Get info.

The permission are set as they always have been to allow me the read & write.

Any suggestions welcome.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 17.07.36.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 17.07.36.png (78.73 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
Last edited by DavidSteward on 2016-09-27 09:32:32, edited 1 time in total.
Vanceone

Re: Unable to rename and save a document

Post by Vanceone »

This sounds like a sandboxing issue. Questions: is the document located in a non standard location (I mean, outside of the Documents folder--like on the desktop or something?)

Did it work prior to upgrading, and did you upgrade from a version of Nisus prior to Nisus 2.1?

Try moving the original document into the Nisus Documents folder and then saving it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hello David:

I'm sorry you've had trouble with saving and renaming your documents. What Vanceone said is most likely correct: most likely the problem is due to issues with sandboxing. To say it briefly, sandboxing is a way that the system (OSX) ensures that each application only has access to certain files and resources. The error message's suggestion to use the Finder is unfortunately misleading.

Some questions:
1. What version of OSX are you using? I've seen that earlier versions of OSX don't always handle sandboxing smoothly.
2. Does the problem always occur? If you reproduce the problem, please send us a feedback report using the menu Help > Send Feedback. If you checkmark the option to attach your "console log" we can look and see if any errors have been recorded. That may prove useful in diagnosing the cause of the problem.

Thanks for your help, and sorry about the trouble.
DavidSteward

Post by DavidSteward »

I still have this issue and after a few months of using Word I want to return to Nisus.

Can I turn off Sandboxing? It seems to me that it is more bother than it is worth, why can’t I decide where to save my files rather than being told where I must save them.

I am using OS X 10.11.6 as my iMac is too old to run 10.12. I am running Nisus 2.1.5 and have upgraded as each version became available.

The problem always occurs when I save a document, either a new one or one that has just be edited. I have just tried to save this draft in Nisus Documents inside Documents inside my user name and it fails.

I tried to respond to Martin as suggested above via Send Feedback from the Help menu but I was unable in attach the Console Log.

After 20 years of using Nisus I have had to switch to Word.

The problem is made worse by the fact that I can save Nisus files wherever I want when using my wife’s iMac or my MacBook. Also if I log on to my iMac from my MacBook I can save a Nisus file anywhere I want on the iMac. Does this suggest that the problem is with a setting on the iMac as opposed to a Nisus problem?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

DavidSteward wrote:Can I turn off Sandboxing? It seems to me that it is more bother than it is worth, why can’t I decide where to save my files rather than being told where I must save them.
Sorry, but you can't turn off sandboxing. The experience you're having now is definitely unusual. You should be able to save files anywhere you like, sandboxing or not.
I tried to respond to Martin as suggested above via Send Feedback from the Help menu but I was unable in attach the Console Log.
Thank you for the report. I replied to you directly and provided some details regarding the console log.
I can save Nisus files wherever I want when using my wife’s iMac or my MacBook...
Does this suggest that the problem is with a setting on the iMac as opposed to a Nisus problem?
It's almost certainly some kind of system issue particular to the Mac where the problem occurs. We'll likely be able to clear the problem away by doing something like resetting Nisus Writer's sandbox container. However, before we do anything it would be good to confirm the cause of the problem by taking a look at some logs.