Since Sierra Shift-Return not aligning

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
JapanRich

Since Sierra Shift-Return not aligning

Post by JapanRich »

Since a recent upgrade to Sierra, I have noticed to my dismay that Shift-Return does not automatically align the next line with the indented paragraph setting. (I'm not quite describing that correctly.)

Say I have a numbered list (not using the Number List function).

1/ Second line is set up to...
Align underneath "Second" with a shift-return, but it doesn't.

Is there a bug or something I am overlooking. Shift-Return works fine in Word, and in Nisus (Pro) shows when Invisibles are shown.

Rich
xiamenese

Re: Since Sierra Shift-Return not aligning

Post by xiamenese »

(1) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6478

(2) From the Scrivener support site:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... -paragraph
[10.12] Paragraph spacing applied to lines within a paragraph

Symptoms
Paragraphs with line breaks within them will apply padding to those lines as though they were paragraph breaks. For example if a paragraph has 12pts of spacing after the paragraph, then inserting a line break within that paragraph would space out the lines with 12pts, instead of using the natural line-height model for spacing one line after another within a paragraph.

Comparison of 12pt paragraph spacing with invisible characters shown.

Cause & Status
The problem appears to originate from within Xcode 6, when used to compile software for macOS 10.12 "Sierra". The bug impacts how the underlying text engine itself displays this combination of formatting, and as such the only way it can be fixed is through an update to Xcode or to 10.12 itself.

Workarounds
There are no known workarounds. It is worth noting that the problem is cosmetic in nature. Nothing is wrong with the underlying formatting, and once the text is displayed in software that has not been compiled in this version of XCode, or in programs that do not rely upon the macOS text engine (like LibreOffice or Word), it will appear as intended.
:)

Mark
JapanRich

Post by JapanRich »

I can confirm that this is a cosmetic problem, and that if I open the Nisus file in Word, the shift-returns appear properly.
But this appearance problem makes all the difference.
As a user, is there anything can I do? Besides downgrading to El Capitan.

Rich
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Mark is correct: this is a bug in Sierra, but we are working to overcome it. If you don't mind trying pre-release software, you could download the Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.6 beta, which fixes this issue.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

I claim no credit, as I merely pointed to an existing thread and to the information on it provided by Keith et al. at Literature and Latte. :)

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks all the same for passing along the good information :)