NWP and new MBPro with touch bar

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
credneb

NWP and new MBPro with touch bar

Post by credneb »

While Apple has decreed that function keys are a thing of the past, some people use the function keys with Nisus extensively. I'm one of them. I also use an external keyboard, and teh laptop keyboard is barely within reach.

As I understand it, you have to press the FN key on the laptop to access the function keys in the touch bar.

Any idea if
(a) those function keys can be made the default when Nisus is running (so you don't have to hit FN and the function key each time), and
(b) an external keyboard connected thru the appropriate dongle will provide the same access as now to the function keys on the external keyboard when in Nisus?

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I spend 90% of my computer time in Nisus and its compatibility -- particularly in regard to the function keys -- is my main concern.

Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP and new MBPro with touch bar

Post by martin »

Your understanding is correct credneb, the new MacBook's Touch Bar will by default only display the regular old function keys (F1, F2, etc) if you hold down the FN key on your keyboard. That's true for Nisus Writer and other apps. However, I have a positive answer for your question:
credneb wrote:Any idea if
(a) those function keys can be made the default when Nisus is running (so you don't have to hit FN and the function key each time)
You can configure macOS to always show the function keys in the Touch Bar on a per-app basis.

As to your other question:
(b) an external keyboard connected thru the appropriate dongle will provide the same access as now to the function keys on the external keyboard when in Nisus?
I'm not sure about this, but I would assume so. I expect that any physical keyboard with regular function keys will behave exactly as it did before the Touch Bar was introduced.
credneb

Post by credneb »

Martin,

Thank you for the information, particularly the link to setting the function keys as the default.

Cliff
funwithstuff

Post by funwithstuff »

Just wondering if there's support for the Touch Bar coming soon? It would be great to see customisable support if possible — many apps have taken a more complex approach but not allowed for custom buttons. Different sets of buttons in different contexts, like FCP X does it, would be great too, and sliders are very useful in the right context. Thanks!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

At this time we don't have any official statements regarding Touch Bar support. However, we do have some ideas for the future. Allowing the user to thoroughly customize the bar would be super useful, eg: let the user add any menu or macro to the bar.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If you're using the current version of Nisus Writer Pro (2.1.6) on a MacBook with a Touch Bar, you may find the behavior is buggy. We're currently working on an update to fix that. If anyone wants to try a beta version of Nisus Writer with improved Touch Bar support, please download version 2.1.7 beta one. If you do try it, we'd be happy to hear any feedback regarding the Touch Bar and Nisus Writer via the menu Help > Send Feedback. Thanks!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer Pro version 2.1.7 has been officially released and adds Touch Bar support.