Quickeys & Nisus Writer Express

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
David Waterhouse

Quickeys & Nisus Writer Express

Post by David Waterhouse »

Has any reader been able to make Nisus Writer Express 2.0 work together with Quickeys X2? They seem to be incompatible. My experience has been exactly like that of the writer of the following message:

http://alt.cc/jk/index.php?p=10

On my old computer I still happily use Quickeys 3.0 with an ancient version of Nisus Writer. It saves a great deal of time when switching fonts and keyboards, particularly between Asian and European scripts. Now there is only frustration.

DAVID WATERHOUSE
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I have never used QuicKeys, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question. Is the Menu Keys feature of any help to you? This lets you assign menu commands (including macros, styles and so forth) to keyboard combinations. You'll find it under Preferences. Similarly, you can assign keystroke combinations to styles in the Style Sheet. I don't know whether this helps you with your particular needs, but I thought I'd mention it.

--Craig
David Waterhouse

Thank you for your suggestion. I had already set Menu Keys in the Nisus Preferences to switch between various fonts, but it does'nt work very well, and I have to depress several keys to do what Quickeys would do with a single one. Also the Nisus Preference, "Switch keyboard layout when language changes", doesn't seem to work at all when I tick in the box.

Similarly, there is another box in the OSX Preferences, "Try to match keyboard with font", which doesn't do anything: at least not on my computer. Changing keyboards every time with the mouse is far too laborious. Quickeys used to do everything with one stroke.

For simple alternations, for example between one Roman font and one Japanese one, "Command - space" works: but I am looking for something more sophisticated.

I am currently using the Panther operating system. I do not know if re-installing it would do any good.

DAVID WATERHOUSE
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Since 2.0, I have not had trouble with language-and-font switching, but I'm not sure exactly what you need to accomplish.

Would it help to write a few simple macros using menu commands? For instance:

Code: Select all

Format:Language:Japanese
Format:Font:Hiragino Mincho Pro
I know you said you want to do something more sophisticated than what this would accomplish -- and this doesn't do more than command-spacebar would -- but perhaps a fuller set of such macros would do what you need it to do. You could assign each its own keystroke combination.

--Craig
David Waterhouse

Thank you, Craig, for your suggestion regarding macros. I have never really understood how to manipulate them, but will experiment. From my point of view the simplest solution, though, would be to make Quickeys fully functional in Nisus Writer Express 2.0 (and in Mellel, for that matter).

DAVID WATERHOUSE
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

David Waterhouse wrote:From my point of view the simplest solution, though, would be to make Quickeys fully functional in Nisus Writer Express 2.0 (and in Mellel, for that matter).
I won't argue with you on that point. From what I've read QuicKeys sounds like a great tool.

Until it works in NWE, though, I think you'll find that Nisus menu command macros are really quite simple. Just type the name of the command you want to invoke as it appears in its menu. If the name is not unique (for example, "Rows" appears under both Table:Select and Table:Delete), simply preface it with the menu "path," using colons as separators in the path (e.g., Table:Delete:Rows). Consult pages 166-67 in the NWE 2.0 User Guide before you start, and I doubt you'll have any trouble.

If macros won't tide you over, post again. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can suggest something.

--Craig
rmark
Official Nisus Person

re: Quickeys & Nisus Writer Express

Post by rmark »

Allow this to serve as a notice that we are aware of the problem. Very few people have mentioned it, but, we'll look into the matter. I can't give you an "ETA" for any updated information.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.