Section Break - Odd Page - Refresh

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Roger

Section Break - Odd Page - Refresh

Post by Roger »

When I insert multiple "Section Break - Odd Page" (such as formatting the document so that each chapter begins on an odd page), After inserting several Section Breaks, the Odd Header/Even Header indicator seems to get confused, or maybe it stops updating. I have to close the document and reopen, and then the odd/even pages display correctly.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I would like Nisus to "refresh" the odd/even correctly, regardless of how many sections breaks I insert. I should not have to cold the document and reopen it in order for the odd/even pages to display correctly.

Thank you.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Section Break - Odd Page - Refresh

Post by martin »

Hello Roger,

You're right that you should not need to close and reopen your file for the odd/even breaks to paginate correctly. That sounds like a bug to me. I very quickly tried to reproduce the bug, but could not. Before I try any more testing, perhaps you could send me a document where the problem occurs? Please indicate where the section breaks should be inserted to trigger the problem.

Thanks for your help!

PS: the best way to reports bugs and submit materials to us is via the menu Help > Send Feedback.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thank you. I will see what I can do. The doc contains proprietary information from my employer. Let me check into it.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Roger et al

One way to get around the document confidentiality issue in such a situation would be to do a global Find and Replace that replaced every alphanumeric character with a place-holder such as an “x”.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Hello and Happy New Year to everybody!
Roger wrote:The doc contains proprietary information from my employer.
Don't you worry, there is a very elaborate macro available for this purpose. It's called "Redact". I'm not sure whether it's now automatically installed with the application or whether it has to be downloaded extra. Anyway, the latest version of this macro (from 2016) can be found here:

https://nisus.com/pro/macros/browse.php?keywords=Redact

It "irreversibly scrambles all text in a document, while generally trying to preserve text layout. Also replaces any images with generic placeholder graphics." [From the Nisus Website]

It also scrambles the properties (see File menu > Properties.)
Roger

Post by Roger »

Very nifty Redact macro!

The redacted doc is over 600 KB, and the forum system tells me "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 100 KiB." So, I cannot attach it.

The issue arose several times after I had inserted multiple Odd Page Breaks, and then it would just stop repaginating correctly. It would display an even page header instead of the odd one. I would close the document and reopen it, and everything would be fine.

Might there have been a slight delay that I was too impatient to wait for? I have noticed there is a slight delay in the Navigator when I edit a Heading. My computer is quite fast, so I am surprised to notice such a delay. (iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014).

Thanks,
Roger
Roger

Post by Roger »

OK. I see that I can attach the file via Help - Send Feedback, so that's what I did. Thank you.