Files going to trash

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Val

Files going to trash

Post by Val »

Hope someone can help. Doesn't matter where I try to save a file, everything I'm saving goes immediately to trash.
adryan

Re: Files going to trash

Post by adryan »

G’day, Val et al

If you’ve been using Nisus Writer for at least 6 months now, presumably it’s been working well enough for you up until recently. So, have you changed anything on your computer recently (such as the operating system or the version of Nisus Writer)? I think it’s good practice, especially with major file-handling problems such as this, to include details of the computer model, the operating system and the application version when posting queries.

Presumaby, it’s only Nisus files that are not being saved properly. If other applications are also affected, you probably need to consider reinstalling the operating system.

It’s not clear from your post whether only new Nisus files are affected, or whether modifying and saving an existing file results in its ending up in the Trash as well. If the latter, you need to be especially careful what you do!

I would first remove all files from the Trash as a precaution and put them in a safe place. Any further tests would only be with minimalist new files or duplicates of existing files — ie, only with expendable stuff.

First, I would check that nothing seems untoward in the Saving pane of the Nisus Writer Preferences window. Then I would Restart the computer, relaunch Nisus Writer and see whether the problem persisted. If it did, I would move the Nisus Preferences files to a safe place. (When you Option-click on the Go menu in the Finder, your home Library folder appears in the drop-down menu, whence you can go to the Preferences folder and locate the required files.) Then I would delete the Nisus Writer application and reinstall it from scratch. If all now seems well, I would try re-placing my previous Preferences files in the Library. If the problem recurred then, one of those files is corrupted, so I’d delete them, reinstall Nisus Writer (which will create new Preferences files with defaults) and reconfigure my Preferences.

If reinstalling Nisus Writer did not solve the problem, I would see whether anyone else on the forum had an answer before I bit the bullet and reinstalled the operating system.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Val

Post by Val »

Thank you, Adrian, for your very thorough response. Cheers, Val
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Adrian was very thorough and provided some very good aspects to investigate. The first thing I would look at is the default autosave location in Nisus Writer's preferences.

Please let us know if you still have trouble and can't solve this.
Val

Post by Val »

Thanks, Martin. I'll do that. Cheers, Val
Val

Post by Val »

Thanks for your advice Adrian and Martin.
Embarrassing final question - I hope.
The hard drive has been reformatted, the operating system reinstalled and Nisus downloaded, however (and here's the embarrassing bit) I can't find the licence number.
Are you able to point me towards a thread that shows me how to find it.
:oops: Val
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Val et al

The licence key would have been in documentation (eg, email) you received when you purchased the software. It’s always a good idea to keep a record of such data.

Nisus can supply you with it again if you’ve mislaid it:–

<https://nisus.com/support/license.php>

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
Val

Post by Val »

Thanks, Adrian, I usually do keep those emails. Not sure how this one got away.
Cheers,
Val
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Val et al

I hope you’re back up and running very soon.

It’s getting a little bit off-topic, but it may help others as well….

I do not consider email applications as secure enough repositories for important information. I’ve been burnt by Mail once and that’s enough. If I deem something important enough, I save it outside of the email application environment, in as stable a format as seems appropriate. An AppleScript script converts most of what I need into an RTF document, and I save important attachments outside of Mail.

We pause a moment to (yet again) lament the passing of Nisus Email….

In relation to licence keys and such, a simple text or RTF file provides a stable, easily accessible repository for them all — moreover, one that can be printed off as required and kept somewhere safe to aid reinstallation of software after such a catastrophic event as reformatting a hard drive.

In my opinion, paper is still the most reliable storage medium — but that’s a topic for another forum!

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
Val

Post by Val »

Thanks for the advice Adrian.
Cheers,
Val