Two line chapter name in TOC

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mhackney

Two line chapter name in TOC

Post by mhackney »

I am testing the demo and so far everything has been great. I searched for an answer for this and did not find one.

I like to start my book chapters like this:

Chapter 1
This is the Beginning

but in the TOC I'd like one line like this:

Chapter 1: This is the Beginning..........................9

I tried selecting both line in the text and adding to the TOC but that didn't give me the result I'd like. Is this possible to do (I'd really be surprised if it isn't since everything else I've wanted to do is supported!)

cheers,
Michael
phspaelti

Re: Two line chapter name in TOC

Post by phspaelti »

Make sure to use a "soft-return" (= <shift>-return) between the two lines.

You can adjust how soft-returns are substituted for in the TOC-style settings. The standard setting is a space, but you can change it to colon-space, or whatever you like.
philip
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Thank you Philip, that makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try.

cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Separating the header lines with the soft–return forces both lines on the chapter page to use the same paragraph style. I like to use a smaller type size for the second line. Is there a way to do this? Perhaps using a character style with the smaller size?
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Ok, I can decrease the font size on the second line. One last thing: you mention I can substitute a ": " instead of just a " " in the TOC style but I don't find where to do that.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

As you figured out, for the differing formatting you will have to use a character style, or apply formatting by hand.

The TOC styles can be found at Tools > Table of Contents > Configure TOC Styles… Note that Nisus allows you to have more than one TOC style. If you don't set anything the style will be called Default TOC.

You can set the replacement options here:
TOC Styles.jpeg
TOC Styles.jpeg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 8452 times
philip
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Got it and it all works perfectly thanks!

Here are 2 simple questions:

Is there a way to show two pages (even-odd) side by side?

Is there a macro or other tool to automatically calculate book margins based on the Van de Graaf Canon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canons_of ... raaf_canon)
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

mhackney wrote:Is there a way to show two pages (even-odd) side by side?
Unfortunately no.
mhackney wrote:Is there a macro or other tool to automatically calculate book margins based on the Van de Graaf Canon
Unfortunately again, macros can't set margins. Looking at the explanations for the Canon, you need to set the margins to 1/9 and 2/9 the page dimensions. So for A4 paper that would be 23.3mm and 46.6mm respectively.
philip