shape wrap around transparent object question

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mhackney

shape wrap around transparent object question

Post by mhackney »

I would like to be able to flow text around one side of a transparent object that is positioned next to a border like the attachment shows. I pulled this off by drawing a transparent rectangle 1/2 the width of the photo with no border and placing it behind my photo in the right side to block the text! Is this a reasonable way to do this? Will it come back to haunt me in other ways later?

I then attempted to Group the photo and shape so they would be kept together (Shapes->Group Shapes) but when I do this, the text flows around the right side of Yoda as if the blocking rectangle is not there.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 6.34.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 6.34.31 PM.png (73.13 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
phspaelti

Re: shape wrap around transparent object question

Post by phspaelti »

My response to your question was going to be that you couldn't group objects with different text flow properties. But now, after doing some quick experimentation, I am under the impression that text flow is buggy. I think you should report this back to Nisus (with "Send Feedback…").
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I tested this out myself with an appropriately transparent (and wise) Yoda image, and observe that text wrap isn't working correctly when multiple floating shapes are stacked on top of one another. I'll file that as a bug, thanks!

In the meantime, can you just edit your Yoda image so the right side has a solid fill? That way you'd only need to use the single graphic, instead of trying to stack them.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Thanks Martin, yes, I have a few images like this and now that the first few chapters are relatively "stable" from a page perspective, I can easily do that.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Hmm, oddly adding 1/2 of the background as white in Photoshop (the most recent version) causes the entire PNG to save with an opaque white background.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Tried it again this time using the export as... in Photoshop that let's you pick transparency color, etc. It worked.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Great, I'm glad that workaround will suffice. Though I'm sorry for the nuisance of having to edit your images.