Page breaking oddly

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mickreed

Page breaking oddly

Post by mickreed »

Hello

I'm new to Nisus Writer Pro and like it very much except for one thing that I can't seem to fix.

Often a new page is started when there is still room for several lines of text. It makes the page look ugly as the attached file shows. I am not inadvertently adding page breaks. This is definitely down to the software.

I am using NWP 2.1.7 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.4

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Mick
xiamenese

Re: Page breaking oddly

Post by xiamenese »

I would guess this is the result of "Prevent Widows and Orphans" and/or "Keep with Next". I'm on my iPad at the moment, so I can't check the exact terminology.

HTH

Mark
adryan

Re: Page breaking oddly

Post by adryan »

G’day, Mick et al

The settings Mark is alluding to are available in the Paragraph section of the Format menu or in the Paragraph Palette.

Without seeing the file in question, Mark is almost certainly right here. But it is as well to be aware that unexpected white space can occur for other reasons too. Among these we might include: (forgotten or inadvertent) settings for page margins, headers and footers, line spacing, paragraph spacing, font or font size; redundant spaces or paragraph returns; text, tables or shapes the same color as the background. Enabling the Show Invisibles and Show Page Guides commands from the View menu can help to illuminate some, but by no means all, of these situations. Depending on the history of the document, it can even be that a single (invisible) space retains style characteristics that no longer apply to surrounding text.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996