"Time Machine can't find your backup disk."

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

"Time Machine can't find your backup disk."

Post by NisusUser »

Files > Revert To > Browse All Versions

When I did that I get the message that "Time Machine can't find your backup disk." What might cause that? I don't think I've ever used Time Machine, but I know I've used the Revert capability in NWP before and found older versions to revert to.

I'm on Yosemite (10.10.5) with NWP 2.1.7.

Thanks!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: "Time Machine can't find your backup disk."

Post by martin »

Your post raised a question for which I don't know the answer: does the document versioning feature provided by the system (ie: the menu File > Revert To) require Time Machine to be enabled? I don't think so, and you seem to confirm that by saying you've reverted documents without having configured Time Machine, but I can't find a definitive statement on Apple's support pages. Assuming you don't need Time Machine for this feature, that means the error you're seeing is nonsense.

Apple has a FAQ page for the error "Time Machine can't find your backup disk", but I'm not sure it will be of any help, since it presupposes you had a Time Machine backup configured in the first place. Unfortunately I'm not sure what else to recommend. Maybe you can try running a scan of your hard drive for errors? Or even open up the Time Machine preferences and "jiggle the handle" by trying to enable it, fail to select another hard drive, and reset it to off?
NisusUser

Re: "Time Machine can't find your backup disk."

Post by NisusUser »

Martin, this is strange. When I went into Preferences > Time Machine, I was proven wrong. (I guess that's not so strange, but I don't like it!) The disk NWP's message says it can't access is an obsolete partition of a 1TB disk that is being populated with data from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup. So … apparently at some time in the past that external 1TB drive was partitioned to two 500GB partitions and Time Machine was assigned one of them. I really can't remember that ever being the case, but apparently the facts prove my memory wrong. What I did just now (in response to your advice to "jiggle the handle" was turn TM to "On, then "Remove" the obsolete partition and then switch TM to "Off". We'll see if anything gets better.

On the good side, when this message came up and I was unable to revert from within NWP, I was able to find a backup in the CCC data, so I did successfully revert to the file version I wanted.