TOC part of "Normal" style not continued

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
editor10

TOC part of "Normal" style not continued

Post by editor10 »

My Normal style includesthe first line of each paragraph in the TOC, & is followed by Normal style.
Normal style.jpg
Normal style.jpg (95.28 KiB) Viewed 7483 times
When I hit Return, the next paragraph should continue to be Normal, included in the TOC, but it changes
palette.jpg
palette.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 7483 times
What am I not seeing?

Thanks,

Cynthia
phspaelti

Re: TOC part of "Normal" style not continued

Post by phspaelti »

editor10 wrote:My Normal style includes the first line of each paragraph in the TOC, & is followed by Normal style.
What do you mean by "the first line"? If you include the include-in-TOC attribute as part of the definition of the style, then the whole paragraph will have the include-in-TOC attribute applied. Are you perhaps turning it off (by hand) after the first line? Then (of course) it will also stay off after you press return.

In general it strikes me as interesting as what you seem to be doing. TOC attribute is usually applied to headings to make a TOC. But in your case the entire document (?) is a bullet list, and everything is included in the TOC? Are you trying to use the TOC style to move around an otherwise unstructured document?

Anyhow to return to your problem, assuming my guess above is correct I could recomment the following, create a macro which enters a return and (re)applies the Normal style. Use that instead of just the simple return. Admittedly it's a bit of a hassle…
philip
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Here's another idea. If you really want only the first line of every paragraph in your TOC, don't include the TOC as part of your style. Instead use the following macro to select all first lines and apply the TOC attribute only to that text.
Attachments
Select first line of every paragraph.nwm
(3.7 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
philip
editor10

Post by editor10 »

Yes, I am using the TOC so that I can have a clickable 'map' of the paragraphs, in the sidebar. The document is a compilation of bits and pieces,

I don't know how the Bullet feature got into the style sheet, but no bullets appear; maybe only if I apply list style to a ¶?

At first all was well, each ¶'s first words were TOC'd and listed in the sidebar, but then when I'd hit Return the next ¶ would not be included and its TOC status would have changed, as shown in the palette screenshot in my OP.

As it is, then, either for each new ¶ or periodically, I have to manually change the TOC style in the palette. Just as easy as a macro I suppose, though thanks for offering one. I wish I could figure out why the style doesn't continue...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

editor10 wrote:I don't know how the Bullet feature got into the style sheet, but no bullets appear; maybe only if I apply list style to a ¶?
It is strange that your Normal paragraph style has a list style applied, and yet no list bullets appear in the style preview. Without seeing the document, my only explanation is that the list style has been configured so the list item's bullet is either a non-printing character (like a space) or has been formatted to camouflage it, perhaps by applying a white text color.

It also seems odd to have your Normal style enforce "Include in TOC". That implies you want each and every paragraph in your document to be listed in the TOC, which seems less useful. Usually documents are configured so that special paragraph styles like "Heading 1" enforce the TOC, so only the most important paragraphs are listed in the TOC.

But the peculiarity of your configuration aside, it should function as you described:
When I hit Return, the next paragraph should continue to be Normal, included in the TOC
As you say, if you have Normal applied, and it enforces the TOC, then inserting a return should continue the Normal style, and likewise its TOC inclusion.

If you share your document with us, either here or privately via the menu Help > Send Feedback, we might be able to give you better advice and explain why your document is not behaving as you'd expect.
editor10

Post by editor10 »

It is indeed strange, I suppose, both what I am doing and what results I am getting. But I need that clickable list of the beginning of each paragraph. For now I will just reset each new para using the palette, and perhaps try pasting the text into a new doc as plain text, then applying a style to it. And not try to track down the Why.

Thanks to Martin and others for analysis and suggestions.