Cursor placement oddity

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
John

Cursor placement oddity

Post by John »

When I'm using justified text with bigger than usual spaces between words, the cursor at the end of a word is placed too far to the right, making me think there is a space character there. So when I delete it, it actually removes the last letter of the word. Does anyone notice this problem?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Cursor placement oddity

Post by martin »

Hi John: I was unable to observe what you describe. Even if the spacing for justified text has gone a bit wide, the caret hugs the preceding word quite tightly:
just.png
just.png (30.14 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
Maybe you could share an example document and/or screenshot so we can take a look.
John

Post by John »

Okay, that's encouraging if you can't replicate the issue, Martin! Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm posting a screenshot and the original file...
Attachments
cursor test.rtf
(19.44 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 10.19.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 10.19.37 PM.png (74.13 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for providing a sample and screenshot John. With them in hand I've been able to reproduce the confusing caret placement.

It seems the key factor is the font. The font "Times" triggers the undesirable caret placement, while "Time New Roman" does not. Are you able to switch fonts? I hope so, because it's unlikely we'll be able to do anything about this. Text justification is handled by the system (macOS) text engine. You can observe the same behavior in other apps (eg: Apple's TextEdit).

I hope that helps.
John

Post by John »

That definitely helps! It does seem like I've seen Times New Roman much more than Times lately. Makes sense...

Thank you.