Nanum Pen Script

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
MacSailor

Nanum Pen Script

Post by MacSailor »

More or less every time I launch NPW I get a message box telling me that I have to download Nanum Pen Script. Why is the NWP keep telling this?

I have apparently two options according to the message box A. Download it by clicking on the button »download», B. Skip it to next launch. If I click on option B, the message appears once more and then I click on the same option one more time.

Next time I launch NWP (even if I launch it without any document automatically opened) it keeps telling me about the »Nanum Pen Script». Quite annoying.
Peter Edwardsson
Þorvarður

Re: Nanum Pen Script

Post by Þorvarður »

Hi Peter,

I think Nanum Pen Script is a Korean font that also includes Latin characters. Did you ever download this font? Search for it on your computer (using Find Any File or EasyFind.)
Check also your FontBook. Fonts can be disabled and deleted there.
Why is the NWP keep telling this?
I don't know. Did you ever use this font in your Nisus New File or in a glossary?

I would also run OnyX (or a similar utility.) You can rebuild LaunchServices and delete the fonts cache there. But be careful if you are not familiar with OnyX, so that it won't delete items you want to keep (such as cookies.)
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Þorvarður wrote:Hi Peter,

I think Nanum Pen Script is a Korean font that also includes Latin characters. Did you ever download this font? Search for it on your computer (using Find Any File or EasyFind.)
Check also your FontBook. Fonts can be disabled and deleted there.
Why is the NWP keep telling this?
I don't know. Did you ever use this font in your Nisus New File or in a glossary?

I would also run OnyX (or a similar utility.) You can rebuild LaunchServices and delete the fonts cache there. But be careful if you are not familiar with OnyX, so that it won't delete items you want to keep (such as cookies.)
The only time I downloaded the fonts was when NWP asked me to download it. As far as I know, I have never ever used the particular font in any document whatsoever. I will try the Onyx ( I already have the Cocktail that is a similar app).

Edit: Now I downloaded the font directly trough the FontBook and not from within NWP, and the message disappeared after I relaunched NWP. Did not have to use Onyx or Cocktail.

Thanks for the suggestions to solve the problem.
Peter Edwardsson
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

I'm glad that you could solve the problem. :-)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad you solved the problem and prevented the annoying alert. I want to clarify this:
MacSailor wrote:More or less every time I launch NPW I get a message box telling me that I have to download Nanum Pen Script. Why is the NWP keep telling this?
It's actually not Nisus Writer showing this alert, but the system (macOS). Nisus Writer will ask the system for information about fonts, which can trigger the alert. For example, some template's or file's stylesheet definition may include a font, even if that style isn't actually applied to any text.

Aside from adding the font, you can also disable this feature entirely. If you open Font Book's preferences you'll see an option to turn off automatic font activation:
fontbook.png
fontbook.png (36.2 KiB) Viewed 7836 times
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

martin wrote:I'm glad you solved the problem and prevented the annoying alert. I want to clarify this:
MacSailor wrote:More or less every time I launch NPW I get a message box telling me that I have to download Nanum Pen Script. Why is the NWP keep telling this?
It's actually not Nisus Writer showing this alert, but the system (macOS). Nisus Writer will ask the system for information about fonts, which can trigger the alert. For example, some template's or file's stylesheet definition may include a font, even if that style isn't actually applied to any text.

Aside from adding the font, you can also disable this feature entirely. If you open Font Book's preferences you'll see an option to turn off automatic font activation:
fontbook.png
Thanks for the explanation and how to prevent it from happen again.
Peter Edwardsson