NWP turning roman to italics when converting Word docs

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
FletcherD

NWP turning roman to italics when converting Word docs

Post by FletcherD »

I'm working on a manuscript sent from my editor, who uses Word. When I open her .docx file with NWP, many periods that come after a sentence-ending italic word have been italicized, even though the original .docx file has them in roman. In addition, there are two instances where my editor changed an italic phrase to roman and put quotes around it, yet NWP somehow reverts that text back to italic while also keeping the added quotes.

I have tried opening my editor's .docx file in Word and then saving it as both a .doc and an .rtf file. Both of those have the same problem upon being imported into NWP.

I suspect what is happening is that NWP is seeing my original italic formatting (as it existed before my editor changed it to roman) and reverting to that state, rather than respecting the editing change. Not being able to trust NWP to properly present editing changes from Word is a big, big problem for me as I am a professional author and was hoping that I could discard Word and do my edits in NWP.

Has this been seen before (I didn't see it in the forum)? Is there a fix? I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11.6 and NWP 2.1.7.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP turning roman to italics when converting Word docs

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you've had trouble exchanging documents when collaborating with a Microsoft Word user. I'd definitely like to investigate your troubles and see what we can do to help.

First, it's best to use the Rich Text Format (RTF) file format exclusively if possible. RTF has excellent support in both Nisus Writer and Microsoft Word. RTF is also Nisus Writer's native file format, which means we'll do everything we can to keep it compatible, so there's no loss in formatting when exchanging documents with others. You said:
I have tried opening my editor's .docx file in Word and then saving it as both a .doc and an .rtf file. Both of those have the same problem upon being imported into NWP.
Would you be able to share such an RTF with us privately? If so, we'd be very interested in trying to fix the problem. You could send us the file via the menu Help > Send Feedback or via email:
FletcherD

Re: NWP turning roman to italics when converting Word docs

Post by FletcherD »

Thank you for the response! I've sent the file to the email you provided.