Nisus Default Template

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
deltanick

Nisus Default Template

Post by deltanick »

If I start NWP, when I launch a second document, it it positioned about 1/4" to the right of the first (on top, but 1/4" further to the right). Subsequent documents also are positioned here.

Since I am used to having all new documents open directly on top of each other, how can I set it to work this way: each new document sits directly atop previously-opened documents)?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Nisus Default Template

Post by martin »

If I understand your question correctly, this is the intended behavior. If you create multiple new document windows, each window should be slightly offset from the prior window, so you can see that there are multiple files. If each window occupied exactly the same coordinates on screen, the user could easily lose track of their files.

This is standard behavior for Mac apps. For example, you can observe the same behavior in Safari if you create multiple new browser windows in quick succession.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Martin et al

Except that this does not seem to be quite the case in NWP at present. Offset occurs for the second window only. Third and subsequent windows are stacked on top of the second window, not iteratively offset.

But I agree that iterative offset is a desirable default feature. For those who don’t want the offset, I mentioned alternative approaches in the "How Do I Change Change NWP Window Position?” thread.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for your reply Adrian:
adryan wrote:Except that this does not seem to be quite the case in NWP at present. Offset occurs for the second window only. Third and subsequent windows are stacked on top of the second window, not iteratively offset.
Hrm, that's odd, and not what I experience. I just tested and stacking seems to be working correctly for documents 3 and beyond.

Oh, but I do see that once the document windows touch the bottom of the screen, the newest window is not correctly shifted back to the very top of the screen to start a new stack. Do you have a very tall default window Adrian? Perhaps that is why the stacking only occurs for your first few windows. I'll have us take a look at getting this fixed, so stacking occurs correctly even once the window touches the bottom of the screen. Thanks!
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Martin et al

Thanks for looking into this, Martin.

My Nisus New File document window extends to the full height of the MacBook Pro screen, so stacking of new documents might well be expected to run into trouble. But that isn't the whole story.

If I raise the lower edge of the New File window and make the window abut the left edge of the screen, stacking of new (untitled) documents occurs with no offset at all. However, if the New File window does not abut the left (or right) edge of the screen, stacking occurs with iterative horizontal and vertical offsets until either the lower edge of the window abuts the lower edge of the screen or the right edge of the window abuts the right edge of the screen, whereupon stacking continues but with no further offset of any sort.

I think this latter behavior is how things should be; it's just that there appears to be an anomaly in the case of windows abutting the left edge of the screen.

If the New File window abuts the right edge of the screen, stacking occurs with a single (non-iterative) vertical offset. I'm not sure what the best design choice is in this situation — single vertical offset or iterative vertical offsets until the bottom of the screen is reached? — probably the latter.

I now return to windows that extend to the full height of the screen. (I am talking about the usual situation where there is a main menu bar, not Full Screen mode.)

If the New File window abuts the left edge of the screen, stacking occurs with no offset, just as in the case of shorter windows. If the New File window abuts the right edge of the screen, stacking occurs with no offset. If the New File window does not abut either edge of the screen, stacking occurs with a single (non-iterative) right horizontal offset.

Again, it is difficult to decide what behavior is best in the case of full-height windows. I guess I would probably opt for iterative (left or right, depending on window placement) horizontal offsets.

There are obviously a number of combinations of window size and placement to consider. Whatever design choices are made, it's probably a good idea to have things as consistent as possible — and then describe the expected behavior in the Nisus Writer Pro User Guide.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
credneb

Post by credneb »

I work with a MBPro connected to a large external monitor, and found this thread curious. On my setup, how the windows stack, or not, depends on the arrangement of the displays in the display prefs. Looking at the screens, the MBP screen is on the left side of the external monitor.

I always move Nisus to the external monitor, which causes windows displayed at the right end of the external monitor to disappear when Nisus is quit and then restarted. All windows reopen on the laptop screen. The only way to make those windows visible again is to pull them to the front via the Windows menu, close, and then reopen. They appear then on the laptop screen. In this setup (with Nisus windows pulled to the external monitor):

If the MBP screen is set with the top aligned with the top of the external monitor, new windows stack with an offset starting from the top of the monitor.

If the MBP screen is set aligned between the top and bottom of the external monitor, new windows still stack with an offset as above.

If the MBP screen is set with the bottom aligned with the bottom of the external monitor, new windows stack with _no_ offset (at the same position) from the second window on, all windows being aligned with the bottom of the external monitor.

Don't know if this helps or hinders. It would be great if windows opened in the original (previous) locations upon quit and restart, but suspect this is beyond the control of Nisus.

If Nisus is only being used on the laptop screen, the windows stack as Martin describes.
credneb

Post by credneb »

Perhaps I should add that the new document window is whatever the Nisus default window dimensions are. Don't know if it's relevant.
deltanick

Post by deltanick »

Adrian,

Thank you. I never knew that NWP had tabs. I think might scratch my itch. However, your response generates a few more questions:

1. Can I save my Nisus New File with 2 or 3 tabs, so that it launches with them?

2. I read where you mention, “If I raise the lower edge of the New File window and make the window abut the left edge of the screen, stacking of new (untitled) documents occurs with no offset at all … I now return to windows that extend to the full height of the screen. (I am talking about the usual situation where there is a main menu bar, not Full Screen mode.)”

I’m a bit confused. I abut mine to the left edge of the screen, and the window extends from the menu bar to the dock, but I DO get the offset, which is what my initial question stated. Am I missing something?

Deltanick
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Deltanick et al

Rather than using System Preferences to obtain tabs in Nisus Writer Pro, you can use the options in the NWP menu:–

View > Document Tabs > Use Tabs > etc

These document tabs (as distinct from ruler tabs) provide the ability to view multiple documents (one at a time) in the same window. The documents themselves remain as separate files. It is not the documents that contain the tabs: it is the window. The Save command operates on the individual file whose tab is active at the time. So you can’t save the Nisus New File with multiple tabs.

If you wish to open multiple new files in tabs in the one window, all you need to do is use the New (Cmd+N) command as many times as desired (assuming you have document tabs enabled). If this involves too much typing, you could create a macro that had the required number of New commands, and assign a keyboard shortcut to the macro.

With regard to your second question, I gather you use a horizontal Dock at the bottom of the screen. I use a vertical Dock at the left side of the screen. (I find the finger movement on the trackpad more awkward when dragging and dropping files on Dock icons if the Dock is at the bottom of the screen.) What difference Dock location makes with respect to stacking of untitled documents, I don’t know. I suppose that’s one more variable for the programmers to consider. (Sorry, Martin!)

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
deltanick

Post by deltanick »

Here's another question about the Nisus Default Template.

How do I make ALL new files show the file extension automatically, without having to click Cmd-Info, then click the Hide/Show File Extension? I want my new files to open/save automatically with the file extension showing.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, deltanick et al

At the bottom left of the Save As… dialog box, make sure the “Hide extension” checkbox is unticked.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
deltanick

Post by deltanick »

Adrian,

Thanks for your reply: >> At the bottom left of the Save As… dialog box, make sure the “Hide extension” checkbox is unticked. <<

I see NO such box in the "Save As ..." dialog box. Could you walk me through the exact steps? We might be accessing two different "Save As ..." locations. I am using the "Save As ..." command presented under the File menu.

Now, if I do a "Get Info," I see such a dialog box, but it doesn't affect new files, only those already saved: I must check the "Hide Extensions" file AFTER it's saved. I want it to save with extension automatically.

Nick
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, deltanick et al

You may be using the minimalist Save As dialog box which does not show that checkbox. To the right of the filename field is a small button with an up/down arrow which toggles between the two versions of the Save As dialog box. This is a standard feature of the Mac operating system, independent of Nisus Writer.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

deltanick wrote:I see NO such box in the "Save As ..." dialog box. Could you walk me through the exact steps?
Hi Nick,

There is a checkbox in your Mac's *Finder Preferences* called "Show all filenames extensions." If that checkbox is enabled, then you won't see a checkbox in the Save dialog box (it's then redundant.)

If you want *some* files to be shown with an extension and others not—on an ad hoc basic—then disable the option in the Finder Preferences and use the now available option in the Save dialog.

Hope this helps. :-)
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, all

Þorvarður is quite right. However, the fact that Nick seems to be able to display hitherto invisible filename extensions using the checkbox in Info windows indicates to me that he already has the checkbox in Finder Preferences unticked. Hence my suggestion regarding the Save As dialog box itself. If my hypothesis is incorrect, a Restart of the computer may be warranted.

These checkboxes need to be regarded circumspectly. When the checkbox in Finder Preferences is ticked, it overrides the checkbox setting in Info windows. In fact, the checkbox in the latter location reflects a modal situation. With the Finder checkbox ticked, you can still tick or untick the checkbox in the Info window, but it will have no immediate effect on the visibility or otherwise of the filename extension in Finder windows. The fact that the Info window does not give the whole story is a sort of “borderline bug” in the operating system. The Info window should really make it clear that your choice there will only obtain when the checkbox in Finder Preferences is unticked.

For completeness (for newbies), one should perhaps make it explicit that unticking the checkbox in Finder Preferences does not mean that no filename extensions should be shown in Finder windows. Rather, it means that filename extension visibility will be determined on an individual file basis, according to the setting in the relevant file’s Info window.

Ideally, the Finder Preferences window would allow one to choose from three options; viz, show all filename extensions, show no filename extensions, respect filename extension visibility settings in Info windows. Info windows should contain a rider such as, “Effect subject to setting in Finder Preferences”.

It would be nice, too, if (non-minimalist) Save As dialog boxes always showed the checkbox, again with the informative rider. If the (Show All) Finder checkbox were ticked before invoking the Save As command, the checkbox in the Save As dialog box could be ticked by default, but there should still be the option to untick it for occasions where a different choice of Finder Preference is made. This would be particularly useful for people who wish to show or hide filename extensions on a large number of files (possibly of disparate “usual” filename visibility) at once temporarily but are unfamiliar with AppleScript or Automator.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura