Drag and drop gone

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ngazidja

Drag and drop gone

Post by ngazidja »

Hi all, I've just upgraded to High Sierra and amongst all the things that have gone wrong, in NWP I can no longer highlight a piece of text and then drag and drop it somewhere else. I can't find a preference to adjust this, and I suspect it's at the system level since it's only since I upgraded. Any suggestions? It' a lot more convenient than cut paste.

Thanks.

Iain.
ngazidja

Re: Drag and drop gone

Post by ngazidja »

(It's only in NWP, still works fine in TextEdit. Curious.)
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

And now it works again. I didn't even relaunch NWP. I guess High Sierra was just thinking about it...
pgiltner

Post by pgiltner »

My experience is that I need to wait three seconds for Drag & Drop to work in NWP. Works instantaneously in other apps

(machine is MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012))
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

pgiltner wrote:My experience is that I need to wait three seconds for Drag & Drop to work in NWP. Works instantaneously in other apps

(machine is MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012))

My experience is that it works instantly in NWP as well in more or less all other applications I have used. (MBP 15-inch, Mid 2012, 16 GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.1, NWP 2.1.7)
Peter Edwardsson
pgiltner

Post by pgiltner »

What I have to do is to click on the text and wait till the "I" shaped insertion point changes to the black arrow, then it works. I can't figure out what's slowing this down! Ugh!
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Ah, wait for the black arrow. That works.
pgiltner

Post by pgiltner »

I ran etrecheck (www.etrecheck.com), found some old daemons to get rid of, reboot, and we seem to be ok now.
pgiltner

Post by pgiltner »

Oh, yeah, and did a safe mode boot, let it stand overnight, too.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The click delay to discern between changing the selection and starting drag is something that's controlled by the Mac system, so I'm afraid if it's not working very smoothly we don't have any great advice to offer. I'm glad some system cleaning removed the unwanted delays.
pgiltner

Post by pgiltner »

Amazingly, now after two years, I see the drag + drop problem showing up in another way, now with Catalina, same machine.

Again, drag + Drop works fine in all other applications, but in Nisus, I get a 3d gray button with a white downward pointing carat-arrow, which provides sharing menu options. These are all things from the system, not Nisus.

The normal control-click choices, like copy, paste, etc, for selected text do not appear, but will if I hold down the "control" key.

I suspect this has something to do with my machine being so old, but it really works great with everything else (after new SSD instead of HD).
frazman10

Post by frazman10 »

I was having the same problem in Nisus Express when in a draft mode, not page mode. I found if I just add one character to the page, the page will handle drag and drop properly. In other words, I only had the problem when adding picture to blank page. I hope this helps.
Joe
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

pgiltner wrote: 2020-01-02 04:16:30 Again, drag + Drop works fine in all other applications, but in Nisus, I get a 3d gray button with a white downward pointing carat-arrow, which provides sharing menu options. These are all things from the system, not Nisus.
It sounds like you're taking about this menu:
share.png
share.png (83.18 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
Is that the menu? If so then you're correct that it's a system provided sharing menu. Nisus does not directly control when that menu appears. I've only seen the system show that menu for images. It sounds like you see this menu for regular text, while trying to drag-drop? That's unexpected and I don't know what would cause it.
pgiltner

Post by pgiltner »

that's the right menu. However, a restart made it go away. I am now going to see how long before it happens again.
pgiltner

Post by pgiltner »

OK: I turned off the "share menu items" for "actions" restarted, and the problem went away.

Then turned the "share menu items" for "actions" again, and it's back.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/ZWRkkJ0[/img]

so then I took a screenshot (command-shift-3, because 4 would not work), alt tab back & forth to finder

and now drag and drop is working again.