How to transfer ALL NWP preferences and settings to new Mac?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
CrisB

How to transfer ALL NWP preferences and settings to new Mac?

Post by CrisB »

I now have a new i5 MacMini running Yosemite, MacOS 10.10.5, and need to transfer NWP. How do I transfer all preferences, settings, macros, EVERYTHING to my new machine? I can’t use Migration Assistant because I want to get rid of all the junk unwanted programs I had before.

There was a post on how to do this previously, maybe a year ago when I upgraded to Yosemite from Snow Leopard but now I cannot see it in the preferences and settings FAQ. I see it was FAQ post #22, item 5932, named something like: How to move NWP preferences and settings to a new machine.

I have valid NWP settings in both Yosemite and Snow Leopard on the old machine, and would prefer to transfer the Snow Leopard ones.

Please repost (or update and repost) the FAQ about transferring to a new machine.

Thanks, Cris
Hamid

Re: How to transfer ALL NWP preferences and settings to new

Post by Hamid »

CrisB

Post by CrisB »

Thanks a bunch, Hamid. Since that post didn't seem to be in the FAQ, I couldn’t find it.
warm regards, Cris
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

It is under FAQ, no. 17 in the list:
viewforum.php?f=22
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

I’ve since upgraded to latest NWP 2.1.8b in Yosemite in the new machine.

But these instructions don’t seem to be working. I eventually got a file on my desktop when I used the name /com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist by adding com.nisus into the name. So I used this to import in Terminal in the new i5 as follows:

Code: Select all

defaults import com.nisus.NisusWriter MMi5/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
but my keystrokes for different NWP menu items are not working. So I don't think this import has worked.

Have the preferences or anything else been changed since these instructions were written in 2015-02-26? Are they completely up-to-date? Do they need updating?

Or am I making some other mistake? Help, what am I doing wrong?

warm regards,
Cris
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

I've tried several more variations on the posted instructions but it's still not working.

I have a plist on the desktop (actually two variations on the name), a copy of the plist in Snow Leopard. And with NWP quit, I have tried to get Terminal to accept the listed command and several variations:

Code: Select all

defaults import com.nisus.NisusWriter MMi5/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
defaults import com.nisus.NisusWriter MMi5/Desktop/NisusWriterPrefs.plist
defaults import com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist MMi5/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
but all these variations are rejected by Terminal saying:
  • TRY #1: CrisBCTs-Mac-mini:~ MMi5$ defaults import com.nisus.NisusWriter MMi5/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
    2018-02-10 11:52:06.797 defaults[2465:391911] Could not read data from MMi5/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist

TRY #2: CrisBCTs-Mac-mini:~ MMi5$ defaults import com.nisus.NisusWriter MMi5/Desktop/NisusWriterPrefs.plist
    2018-02-10 11:55:58.379 defaults[2470:392650] Could not read data from MMi5/Desktop/NisusWriterPrefs.plist

TRY #3: CrisBCTs-Mac-mini:~ MMi5$ defaults import com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist MMi5/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
    2018-02-10 12:04:57.552 defaults[2478:394640] Could not read data from MMi5/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
    CrisBCTs-Mac-mini:~ MMi5$
So I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Because Terminal is not co-operating, I'm reluctant to force the issue by just finding com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist in the Yosemite-i5 partition (using Find Any File http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/ a great utility whose Option Search finds everything) and overwriting it with the file from Snow on the desktop.

HELP, would it be safe to do this? How to rewrite this string to get Terminal to accept this command? Or is this a problem with the plist file just copied from the latest plist file in Snow? If so how to create a viable plist that Terminal does accept?

Thanks in advance for all and any help, I look forward to your response.
Cris
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

Although NWP 2.1.8b is reading my Nisus Writer Pro folder, it's ignoring my custom Nisus New File.dot and giving me a blank page (which is still called Untitled.) This suggests reading my Nisus New File.dot, which worked fine before on my old machine, is no longer working.

HELP! Exactly where does NWP get the New File template from now?
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Cris et al

Martin’s instructions in that FAQ posting are mostly pretty explicit, so I’m not sure why they aren’t working for you. One thing that isn’t quite explicit, though, is whether they still apply in the situation where one of the operating systems involved pre-dates Mavericks. It may be they only apply if both operating systems date from Mavericks onwards. Perhaps someone can clarify this.

When it comes to the issue of the blank page, that is the usual expected behavior. Opening a new Nisus document (ie, Nisus New File) gives you a blank page in an Untitled document. It would only be otherwise if you had incorporated some content in the document you saved as Nisus New File.dot.

As to where your Nisus New File.dot file is lurking, look here:–

Nisus Writer Pro > Preferences > New File > Advanced > Reveal in Finder

You can save any file as Nisus New File.dot and store it anywhere you like, but the only such file NWP uses to create new Untitled documents is the one whose path you specify (via the Choose… button) in this preference pane.

I sympathize with your frustration and hope you get it all working for you soon.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

Thanks, adryan.

Yes, Martin's instructions are explicit, and I followed them precisely. Yet since they're not working properly, I'm wondering if they are obsolete? Has NWP latest version changed since they were written several years ago?

I'm now beginning to conclude they are no longer current - and need updating...
ToddO

Post by ToddO »

Have you tried using:

~/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist

Instead of:

MMi5/Desktop/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

Thanks ToddO, That worked fine and did input my prefs. :)

Much appreciate everyone's help.

warm regards,
Cris
ToddO

Post by ToddO »

Happy to help. :)