Alt text for tables

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ProfT

Alt text for tables

Post by ProfT »

One more accessibility question. Current requirements for universities include tagging tables in documents with a description or alt text. Is this possible in NWP?

Thanks
Mike
Vanceone

Re: Alt text for tables

Post by Vanceone »

I'm not quite sure what you mean by tagging the table... some sort of hover text that appears when you hover the mouse over it? Like an alt text for an image tag in HTML?

Some possibilities: Add a comment to the entire table, and use that for the alt text. Perhaps use a callout box in a margin pointing to the table?

Or, if you need an "alt tag" in your table, you can save your Nisus document as HTML and then manually add the alt tag to the table tag inside your html.
ProfT

Re: Alt text for tables

Post by ProfT »

Thanks. I'll try those suggestions. The tagging is like alt tagging in HTML. These will be PDFs posted on a course management website for students. Federal education regs require that they be readable by screen readers for the visually impaired. For tables the tag is comparable to a title for the table. I'm going to try a.few of these suggestions and see if they pass muster. If not, I'll either have to use something like Acrobat to do it at the PDF level, or give in and use work to finish docs I begin in NWP.

I'm really hoping to avoid Word!