working with outlines

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Simi Chavel

working with outlines

Post by Simi Chavel »

NWP 3.0. User since 1993.
Trying out outline feature for the first time. Is it possible to collapse (and re-expand) subordinate elements within an outline unit? Relatedly, am I able to move an entire unit (principal element + subordinate elements) just by moving the principal?
TIA
ptram

Re: working with outlines

Post by ptram »

In the Navigator pane, with the ToC shown, I can both expand/collapse the various levels, and drag the lower levels together with the parent ones.

Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Simi Chavel wrote: 2018-10-23 20:56:51Is it possible to collapse (and re-expand) subordinate elements within an outline unit?
This is possible if you hold down the Option key when you click a TOC entry in the Navigator sidebar. The Option key will force all nested subordinate TOC entries to also expand (or collapse).
Relatedly, am I able to move an entire unit (principal element + subordinate elements) just by moving the principal?
As Paolo said, this is possible if you drag-drop a TOC entry in the Navigator sidebar. The corresponding content in the main document will be rearranged to match the drag operation, including any subordinate TOC entries.
Simi Chavel

Post by Simi Chavel »

Thanks so much. Does this mean, if I insert List / Outline, I must make all the levels TOC items in order to collapse and expand them? Is it not possible to do that directly on the List / Outline levels and items? Yours, SBC
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Yes, your text and/or list items do need to be marked for TOC inclusion to appear in the Navigator sidebar. However, you can consistently enforce this using a paragraph style. I recommend that you create a paragraph style that enforces both the desired list style and TOC inclusion. That way you can just apply this new paragraph style to your document text. I hope that helps.
Simi Chavel

Post by Simi Chavel »

Yes. Thanks! (I have not made new paragraph styles in years.)